Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2015, 06:13 AM   #1
Zombie

Chatter with right windscreen wiper

My '01 has never had a passenger-side wiper that operated smoothly without that annoying squeak chatter sound.

It is the curved one. The driver side blade is the straight one.

Where can I get one that will work flawlessly?

JamesDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #2

I replaced my wipers with Bosch Icon 22A's when I purchased my 2000 S a few months ago at the suggestion of one of the comments on the forum. The 22A was too long on the passenger side and kept clicking the plastic shroud. If I adjusted the toothing for the wiper arm it was too high up in the field of vision. Instead I replaced it with a 19B. Since then they have been quiet, the only downside is about the far 1" of the passenger side is not wiped.

Drivers: Icon 22A
Passengers: Icon 19B
DMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #3

One cause of wiper blade chatter is that the blade is not square to the windshield. When the blade wipes in one direction it chatters; when it wipes in the other direction it's smooth.

If your car does this, then rotate the wiper arm slightly so that you move the angle of the blade itself with respect to the windshield moved away from the direction of chatter. In other words, if movement from the driver's side to passenger side causes chatter, you need to rotate the bottom of the blade away from the passenger side. Looking down the arm from the top to the base, the rotation would be clockwise

Maybe this will help
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:45 PM   #4

Raise your wiper blades up, grab your passenger wiper arm near the splined shaft it mounts to and and give it a wiggle while watching the splined shaft to see if they move together, or independently. If they move independently, pop off the plastic cover and tighten the nut behind it that holds the arm to the splined shaft. Torque spec is 12.5 ft-lbs.

I found my passenger side wiper nut was completely loose on my 2001 boxster with 110k miles. Drivers side wasn't loose but was less than the 12.5 ft-lb spec so I tightened it and believe it's not going to loosen up any time soon.

Porsche Workshop Manuals > Boxster (986) F6-2.7L (2000) > Wiper and Washer Systems > Wiper Arm > Component Information > Technical Service Bulletins > All Technical Service Bulletins for Wiper Arm: > 3/00 > Jul > 00 > Wiper Arm Nut - Rattling/Rubbing

Bosch aftermarket wiper blade/frame set made specifically for boxster with the curved passenger side frame is working great for me. I recently also put on some aquapel on the windshield... Good stuff and the water practically flies off the glass!

jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote