986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Pss9 damping adjustment.... (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/57798-pss9-damping-adjustment.html)

jaykay 07-02-2015 08:41 PM

Pss9 damping adjustment....

.....its like winding a watch. If you are around 4 or 5, you could end up at three just by putting the cap back on. The detents are just way too fine; it's like cracking a safe under there; I literally listen and count the tumblers....eeer em detents rather.

Is there a better way?

Gilles 07-02-2015 09:37 PM

Don 't complain, since the KWV3 have to be adjusted at top and the bottom ones being very inaccessible, requiring a shortened Allen wrench...
Awesome ride control but...

Steve Tinker 07-02-2015 10:15 PM

Jaykay, next time you have the wheels removed and can get to the adjuster, you can remove the knurled adjustment wheel (Allan key grub screw). Inside is a small steel ball that rolls over a detent wheel - remove, clean and lightly oil, and it will feel much better.
As a matter of interest, 2 of my adjusters feel good while the other 2 feel very ordinary.

jaykay 07-03-2015 05:43 AM

Sounds....good thanks for the tip

Feel a bit like a watch maker though

thstone 07-03-2015 12:56 PM

I'd suggest that it doesn't really matter - even though there are 9 settings, there is very little (if any) difference between the three groups of three settings, i.e., 1-3 are the roughly the same, 4-6 are the same, and 7-9 are the same.

Just set to soft, medium, or stiff.

jaykay 07-03-2015 02:52 PM

This could very well be....I have only gone to extremes as you suggested ..........(I find 9 unuseable ......5 nice for the street) just wanted it equal side to side

Gilles 07-04-2015 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 456054)
I'd suggest that it doesn't really matter - even though there are 9 settings, there is very little (if any) difference between the three groups of three settings, i.e., 1-3 are the roughly the same, 4-6 are the same, and 7-9 are the same.

Just set to soft, medium, or stiff.

Thstone,

Can you adjust compression And rebound on the PSS's..?

Topless 07-04-2015 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 456146)
Thstone,

Can you adjust compression And rebound on the PSS's..?

One adjustment, one adjustment only.

For mostly street use I recommend full soft. I had my street/track car set to 5 and left it there.

jaykay 07-04-2015 12:33 PM

I believe the adjustment is for bump (compression) damping only.

I am with topless 4/5 is great for everything. Full soft just does not work well on my car....perhaps it because I have a wider track than most. The car can get way too unsettled on 9... Almost a bit alarming at speed. I might try 1 up front one day to see I can get more turn in feel