986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Simple Coolant Question (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/57795-simple-coolant-question.html)

Roxshot 07-02-2015 04:06 PM

Simple Coolant Question

Can I add water to my existing coolant? I'm a little low and my temp gauge flashed at me this morning.

JayG 07-02-2015 04:25 PM

Yes. Use distilled water.
What was the temp when the light flashed?
Since you are in a cold climate and get sub freezing temps, you don't want top add a lot of water. A cup or 2 is fine. Beyond that , get some Porsche coolant and mix up some to top off your tank.

****** Warning******* do not mix different coolant types, make sure what ever you are adding is the same type as what is in there, otherwise you could make goo

Roxshot 07-02-2015 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 455965)
Yes. Use distilled water.
What was the temp when the light flashed?
Since you are in a cold climate and get sub freezing temps, you don't want top add a lot of water. A cup or 2 is fine. Beyond that , get some Porsche coolant and mix up some to top off your tank.

****** Warning******* do not mix different coolant types, make sure what ever you are adding is the same type as what is in there, otherwise you could make goo

The temp was barely over the second "100" dash. It was a slow flash which, according to this post, means low coolant. Looking at the coolant level window seems to confirm that - it's just below the "Min" line.

How can I tell what the current coolant is? I certainly don't want to make goo! :)

Thanks for the info!

timlawton 07-03-2015 08:54 AM

my Porsche shop just uses prestone 50\50...period.
I have always used prestone 50\50 in my Volvo 850 franken-turbo (300+ hp).
never had a problem.

save yourself some bucks and get the prestone at wally-world....

tim

911monty 07-03-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxshot (Post 455966)
The temp was barely over the second "100" dash. It was a slow flash which, according to this post, means low coolant. Looking at the coolant level window seems to confirm that - it's just below the "Min" line.

How can I tell what the current coolant is? I certainly don't want to make goo! :)

Thanks for the info!

Well let me see if I can help. If you don't know what coolant you have then I recommend getting a sample from your tank, turkey baster will work. put in clear jar and look at color. Pink is Porsche factory color, Clear is Euro formula (Zerex G-05 ). Red is Japan long life and green is standard Prestone coolant. There are other brands but this is basic and should keep you out of trouble.

Gelbster 07-03-2015 04:34 PM

Simple coolant answer:
Coolant/Antifreeze

Duezzer 07-09-2015 08:47 AM

I read the Pedro note - now I am confused

He stated

These coolants can be put on top of the existing Porsche coolant, if needed for a top off, even if it’s a different color, and although Porsche sells it’s coolant as a lifetime product,

Then stated

Bottom line: Don’t mix different types of antifreeze.

911monty 07-09-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duezzer (Post 456688)
I read the Pedro note - now I am confused

He stated

These coolants can be put on top of the existing Porsche coolant, if needed for a top off, even if it’s a different color, and although Porsche sells it’s coolant as a lifetime product,

Then stated

Bottom line: Don’t mix different types of antifreeze.

Duezzer; I think what is being said is the OAT or extended life coolants (with the picture of various types) Can be used to top off Porsche coolant. The Bottom line is do not mix different types (OAT, IAT or HOAT) Hope this helps.

Duezzer 07-10-2015 10:09 AM

Thanks

That helps clear it up