Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2015, 07:52 AM   #1

986 Side light issue

I've had this annoying issue since I got my 986 but its got worse recently to the point where I was just out in the rain for an hour trying to get my headlight to work. Basically when I remove my driver's side headlight unit (RHD car) and change any bulb, when I got to put the unit back into the car, it clicks into place correctly but my sidelight bulb won't work. I've changed the bulb, actually changed the entire headlight unit as I changed from ambers to clears but I have the same issue. The only way to get it to work is to keep wriggling the unit in and out whilst also locking and unlocking it until eventually the sidelight works (I have to do this with the lights on and its flickering the whole time on and off until eventually with luck it stays on when the light is locked into place). The other bulbs in the unit (low beam, high beam, indicator, fog etc) all work instantly with no issues and on the passenger side all bulbs are fine the whole time. I had a look at the blue connector behind it and it seems solid and theres no obvious loose wires. Is there a way of perhaps removing the blue connector out of its seating position and plugging it into the light manually to test if this is the issue? As I can't see to unclip it and don't want to break it. Thanks for any help.

eliot92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Are your light assemblies standard or Litronic? On Litronics there are 2 plugs, one mounted to a bracket and the other not. I had a intermittent connection and it turned out the one connector was not seated properly. Remove the assembly and try some dielectric grease on the contacts.

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote