986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Metal in oil filter and on magnetic plug (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/57573-metal-oil-filter-magnetic-plug.html)

opus69 06-12-2015 08:24 PM

Metal in oil filter and on magnetic plug

At the last oil change (4000mi) I opened the oil filter and found a few ferrous flakes. The magnetic oil drain plug also captured a few flakes. 52k mi on engine. Oil analysis showed only elevated copper and had no advice as to source. Engine runs great and has never been abused in the 25k mi I put on it. 2002 S. Any thoughts? Two attached photos show extent of metal. http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1434169261.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1434169368.jpg

Hummer-addict 06-12-2015 08:53 PM

Could be your IMS bearing failing...:eek:

Steve Tinker 06-12-2015 09:12 PM

That's not good.....
Next step is to drain the oil and remove the sump plate and see how much debris is in there.
Let us know the outcome.......

linderpat 06-13-2015 04:03 AM

that's a lot of metal on that plug.

Giller 06-13-2015 04:07 AM

I assume the IMS is still original? Not sure what else causes those sorts of metal flakes other than a bearing failure....

Hummer-addict 06-13-2015 04:32 AM

When you do the IMS you might as well do the clutch,flywheel,clutch fork,slave cylinder and rear main seal...I also had the water pump, thermostat and belt replaced at the same time cause I was there...it's a pricey job but way less expensive then a new engine...sorry to hear and good luck:cheers:

Jake Raby 06-13-2015 05:31 AM

Based on the size and shape of those particles collected on the drain plug, I'd expect that you have a failing camshaft/ lifter in process.

I would pull the sump plate and look for more. I would also pull the swirl pots and pull them apart. Since return oil from the cylinder heads/ valve train area passes through them, they collect a good bit of debris before it gets to the sump. The side with the most debris is the side where your issue lies.

Most importantly, cease operation of the engine until you find the source of the issue. With all this debris being generated as the engine runs, it's destroying its self from the inside out. It will run perfect until it pops, then you have thousands of dollars worth of collateral damage to contend with.

Please don't drive it to death.

opus69 06-13-2015 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 453666)
Based on the size and shape of those particles collected on the drain plug, I'd expect that you have a failing camshaft/ lifter in process.

I would pull the sump plate and look for more. I would also pull the swirl pots and pull them apart. Since return oil from the cylinder heads/ valve train area passes through them, they collect a good bit of debris before it gets to the sump. The side with the most debris is the side where your issue lies.

Most importantly, cease operation of the engine until you find the source of the issue. With all this debris being generated as the engine runs, it's destroying its self from the inside out. It will run perfect until it pops, then you have thousands of dollars worth of collateral damage to contend with.

That certainly makes sense I got a variocam actuator cel a few weeks ago. I don't remember the exact code number but it was bank 1 variocam actuator fault.

Hummer-addict 06-13-2015 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 453666)

Wow...sorry for wrong info...learn a lot reading these forums...:cheers:

Jake Raby 06-13-2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opus69 (Post 453756)
That certainly makes sense I got a variocam actuator cel a few weeks ago. I don't remember the exact code number but it was bank 1 variocam actuator fault.

There ya go... Its not the actuator, thats just whats out of range from debris generation and wear.

Tear it down.

911monty 06-14-2015 07:55 AM

Well I don't know how to say this but Jake that was awesome. To make a correct diagnosis with incomplete info and a photo like that.....:cheers:

BruceH 06-14-2015 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 911monty (Post 453833)
Well I don't know how to say this but Jake that was awesome. To make a correct diagnosis with incomplete info and a photo like that.....:cheers:

I was thinking the same thing. Pretty incredible, thank you Jake for your invaluable contributions:cheers:

mikefocke 06-14-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hummer-addict (Post 453765)
Wow...sorry for wrong info...learn a lot reading these forums...:cheers:

I think the thing you learn most from reading these forums over the years is who you can trust. It is amazing to this humble observer how the same 5 or 6 people so consistently contribute to our knowledge and help people out all while running their day jobs.

Treat them kindly lest they burn out.