986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Understanding Catalytic Converters (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/57563-understanding-catalytic-converters.html)

hancock1701 06-11-2015 09:19 PM

Understanding Catalytic Converters

I'm trying learn more about the catalytic converters on our cars, and have a few questions.

Why are there 2 on each bank? Does the integrated cat function the same as the downstream cat?

Why is the integrated cat called the precat, even though it's the one monitored by the O2 sensors? Why have two but only monitor one?

Since they don't do the sniff test anymore, the downstream cat shouldn't make a much of a difference in terms of getting tested, right?

JFP in PA 06-12-2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hancock1701 (Post 453466)
I'm trying learn more about the catalytic converters on our cars, and have a few questions.

Why are there 2 on each bank? Does the integrated cat function the same as the downstream cat?

Why is the integrated cat called the precat, even though it's the one monitored by the O2 sensors? Why have two but only monitor one?

Since they don't do the sniff test anymore, the downstream cat shouldn't make a much of a difference in terms of getting tested, right?

the pre cat is closer to the engine and smaller, so it gets hot really quick on a cold start, lowering starting emissions.

Once the main or three way cat is hot, it has much greater conversion capacity than the pre cat, so it is the only one monitored.

Removing the main cat will lead to problems in two areas: The car will code as the O2 sensors have nothing to go on. With your CARB inspections, the cats have to physically be there, they actually look.

hancock1701 06-12-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 453537)
the pre cat is closer to the engine and smaller, so it gets hot really quick on a cold start, lowering starting emissions.

Once the main or three way cat is hot, it has much greater conversion capacity than the pre cat, so it is the only one monitored.

Removing the main cat will lead to problems in two areas: The car will code as the O2 sensors have nothing to go on. With your CARB inspections, the cats have to physically be there, they actually look.

Just redid my homework, and I think I made a mistake. Haven't been down under the car for a while, but looking at the diagram from ********************************************, there are actually three O2 sensors for both the starter cat and the main cat on each bank, correct?

NewArt 06-12-2015 10:58 AM

The location of the sensors depends on the year. On my '01 S, there are 2 sensors for each bank, one before and one after the pre-cat, nothing attached to the 2nd cat. Often diagrams are drawn/labelled to cover more than one model and may show various possibilities.

JFP in PA 06-12-2015 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hancock1701 (Post 453545)
Just redid my homework, and I think I made a mistake. Haven't been down under the car for a while, but looking at the diagram from ********************************************, there are actually three O2 sensors for both the starter cat and the main cat on each bank, correct?

No, there are only two sensors on each bank, one ahead of the three way cat, and one behind it.

hancock1701 06-12-2015 11:49 AM

Just want to make sure we're talking about the same things. You were saying the starter/pre cat gets hot quicker because it's closer to the engine, and once the main cat (closer to muffler) gets hot, it'll convert more than the starter cat. But isn't the pre cat monitored by the computer with two sensors? There isn't another O2 sensor after the main (2nd) cat to monitor its performance, so how does the computer know it's there?

The Radium King 06-12-2015 12:00 PM

the sensor before the pre-cat is monitoring combustion so as to control engine fueling. the sensor after the pre-cat is monitoring whether the pre-cat is working. there is no sensor for the main cat.

the pre-cat, and secondary air injection system on the engine, are north America specific systems due to higher start-up emissions standards. you typically don't find these systems on 'rest of world' cars. that's why one of the tricks if putting catless headers on your car is to get a 'row' flash, because the computer no longer monitors whether the pre-cat is working or not.

KRAM36 06-12-2015 12:03 PM

It also depends on what year your car is.

What year is your car?

hancock1701 06-12-2015 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kram36 (Post 453561)
it also depends on what year your car is.

What year is your car?

2001, c.a.r.b.

KRAM36 06-12-2015 03:28 PM

Yours should be like what NewArt posted. Nothing is monitoring the back cats.