986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   What to inspect before long trip? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/57414-what-inspect-before-long-trip.html)

PaulDash 06-01-2015 04:08 AM

What to inspect before long trip?

In three weeks I'll be setting off on a trip from here (southern Poland), through Germany, Denmark, and into Sweden and Norway. It's going to be a long road trip, about 4000+ kilometers. The "plus", as I want to explore some roads and haven't made plans beyond some business in Oslo.

What should I get inspected before the trip?

The car is serviced regularly and will have its oil, oil filter, and air filter changed. Any other recommended preventative service? Any parts and tools I should have with me on this trip?

rem503 06-01-2015 07:24 AM

long voyage

Good luck on your long trip. I hope it is a great one.

I usually take these items when we go on a long trip on our 2000 base Boxster:

an assortment of extra fuses used on the Boxster
tire plug kit & pump
Fault code reader
voltmeter
a couple spare halogen headlight light bulbs
a small tool box with basic tools (especially a 10mm socket & wrench)
the instructions for manually raising the top.
the map of the fusebox
long jumper cables
an extra sepentine belt with a 24mm wrench
quart of oil, brake fluid, water
money

Giller 06-01-2015 10:06 AM

This about covers the what to take part....

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55550-porsche-emergency-kit-what-do-you-carry.html

PaulDash 06-01-2015 03:10 PM

Thanks, rem503 and thanks for the link, Giller. I've seen that thread and with this post wanted to concentrate more on the checks.

Still, a few questions:
* by tire plug kit, do you mean the fix-a-flat?
* what is the 10mm socket for?

I always carry the toolkit, a warning triangle, reflective vests, spare bulbs and fuses.

flaps10 06-01-2015 04:13 PM

1) Bank balance
2) Sense of humor

edc 06-02-2015 03:46 AM

Each year I do a 2-2.5k mile trip through Europe hooning some of the best mountain roads. It's not a gentle motorway cruise so I make sure suspension and brakes are tip top. Depending on age I would also look at your clutch, waterpump as preventative maintenance. Check for corrosion on the brake lines and the union from the PAS union pipe as this splits

rem503 06-02-2015 06:46 AM

long trip

The tire plug kit is a rubbery strip, rubber cement and a rasp and pick for inserting the rubber strip in a nail hole for a temporary fix. I also bring a tire pump.

The 10mm socket and wrench are useful for many connections you may want or need to access - battery connections, front engine panel nuts and bolts, undertray nuts...

kk2002s 06-02-2015 07:25 AM

Take Serpentine belt off and check all pulleys for any signs of wear especially the water pump and alternator

Spare Fuel pump relay. I would never have thought of this except I had one go bad and it shuts you down. Cheap part, I bought spare to carry with me all the time
I had made a jumper cable to diagnose and I carry that as well so I can jump relays

I brought spare AOS on long trip with hose clamp pliers. I don't know how I would do this on the side of the road but at least I had the option

Fix-a-flat
scissor jack
Bentley manual

a Trailer to carry everything
a support car to follow you

Typically I find when you bring all this stuff, you don't need it. Better safe then sorry

Good luck and enjoy

san rensho 06-02-2015 09:54 AM

Check all the tires for nails or other debris and fix it before you go in the trip.

rem503 06-03-2015 07:22 AM

long trip

I like the idea of a support vehicle. As I get older, I have noticed my trips resemble more of an assualt on Mount Everest than a 200 mile day trip to Presque Isle in Erie Pa. for a day at the beach.