986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Suspension work done. When to get an alignment? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/57377-suspension-work-done-when-get-alignment.html)

RandallNeighbour 05-28-2015 06:29 PM

Suspension work done. When to get an alignment?

I finally swapped out my coil overs and have a stock suspension in the box.

Took it for a quick drive tonight and I have nasty body roll and I feel like I was driving on marbles.

How long should I wait for the suspension to settle before I have up it aligned?

geetee 05-28-2015 06:53 PM

I did it same week....then drove 3 months went back got another

RandallNeighbour 05-29-2015 06:32 AM

Is this wonky pitch yaw wobble crazy rolling around on marbles after the strut swap due to every single corner being way out of alignment?

I could never drive the car this way and not have an accident. Makes me wonder if I screwed something up putting the suspension bits back together.

One good thing is I didn't have any spare parts or nuts or bolts at the end of the project! I was actually worried about that about half way through the strut swap on the back end :0

JFP in PA 05-29-2015 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 451671)
I finally swapped out my coil overs and have a stock suspension in the box.

Took it for a quick drive tonight and I have nasty body roll and I feel like I was driving on marbles.

How long should I wait for the suspension to settle before I have up it aligned?

I'd give 100 miles to settle before getting it done.

RandallNeighbour 05-29-2015 07:24 AM

My concern is that I do not believe I can safely drive the car 100 miles before doing it. It's really weird driving the car as it sits now.

I may have to have an alignment done now and do it again in a couple of months down the road. I have a guy that will do it for $60 with a Hunter digital four wheel alignment system so it's a lot cheaper than the stealership.

Is this an idea worth entertaining?

healthservices 05-29-2015 08:35 AM

Do it now and forget about it unless you have issues.

Or do it now and say it does not feel right in two weeks, they will put it on the machine again to check.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

thstone 05-29-2015 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 451735)
My concern is that I do not believe I can safely drive the car 100 miles before doing it. It's really weird driving the car as it sits now.

I may have to have an alignment done now and do it again in a couple of months down the road. I have a guy that will do it for $60 with a Hunter digital four wheel alignment system so it's a lot cheaper than the stealership.

Is this an idea worth entertaining?

Yes, I'd have it done immediately. Then have another done in a few hundred miles. Sometimes, that is just what it takes.