986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Proper way to measure a 986 suspension height? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/57281-proper-way-measure-986-suspension-height.html)

KRAM36 05-22-2015 06:21 PM

Proper way to measure a 986 suspension height?

What is the proper way to measure a 986 suspension height? I went out and did the center of the hub to the wheel arch measurement, but I don't think that is the proper way to check the suspension. I'm trying to see how far off my suspension is at each wheel.

Thanks!

mump 05-22-2015 07:12 PM

I do the bottom of the rim to the wheel arch

KRAM36 05-22-2015 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mump (Post 450837)
I do the bottom of the rim to the wheel arch

Has to be a better way then that. Wheel arches could be off. I'm getting one measurement 3/4" lower then the rest.

antny 05-22-2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRAM36 (Post 450839)
Has to be a better way then that. Wheel arches could be off. I'm getting one measurement 3/4" lower then the rest.

Bad strut maybe? I have done your method on all cars I have lowered on coilovers in the past.

KRAM36 05-22-2015 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antny (Post 450845)
Bad strut maybe? I have done your method on all cars I have lowered on coilovers in the past.

Trying to figure that out, if there is an issue or not. Bad strut or spring?

antny 05-22-2015 10:43 PM

Very possible. Sucky thing about it is they are a pain to get out to measure :).

Steve Tinker 05-23-2015 12:49 AM

I normally do a quick check from the top of the wheel arch to the bottom of the wheel rim as per mump.
If you want to be super critical, measure from the lower suspension point to the floor with a suitable depth gauge, but really about a quarter of an inch difference without a full tank of fuel and an appropriate weight on the drivers seat will not make a great deal of difference on the road.

The change to ride height on each corner is normally the spring - each one can sag a little differently. Your 3/4" difference is larger than any of mine was before I replaced them with Bilstein PS9's, but normally it can be 1/4" difference. But more miles on the suspension can make a big change in spring lengths. That's why people spend significant money on upgraded aftermarket springs - better steel, careful heat treatment, pre-tensioned coils and anti corrosion treatment.
Have you checked if you have a broken spring?

KRAM36 05-23-2015 05:58 PM

I don't think I have a broken spring. I don't hear any noise from the wheel area that is lower.

I was looking at some 1" lowering springs and went out to measure the clearance distance from my tires to the wheel arch and found that one that was 3/4" lower then the rest. Of course this peaked my curiosity. It's the rear left side that is the lower one.

KRAM36 05-24-2015 03:55 PM

I went ahead and ordered new springs, shocks, struts and rear track arms.