986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Focal Speakers? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/57214-focal-speakers.html)

Giller 05-16-2015 08:39 PM

Focal Speakers?

Hey all...curious if anyone has experience/knowledge of Focal speakers. Have a 987 Boxster with the base sound system so need an upgrade. Wondering about swapping out factory stuff with Focal 100's in the dash and 165's in the doors. Thoughts? Will that make much of a difference, or do I really need to get the rear speakers and maybe an amp/sub?
Not looking for loud - looking for a nice, clean sound.
Thanks!

Dlirium 05-16-2015 08:49 PM

I have them in my car - off the hook! Put a JL amp in as well, sounds fantastic. Huge upgrade over the stock system. Highly recommended. Pm me if you want more details...

Giller 05-16-2015 08:55 PM

Follow up question - how much of an impact would it make to add rear speakers to the mix? Or will I hear a big enough boost just by changing our door/dash?
Sub/amp are down the road project -looking for quick fix for now.

BruceH 05-17-2015 06:52 AM

I don't have Focals, I have Pioneer, but upgrading the original rear speakers made a huge difference for me. I also did the dash speakers and doors. All together, it sounds great. I like the rear's since they are closer to my head, and they make a big difference, especially with the top down IMO.

lkchris 05-17-2015 08:47 AM

Quick fix for me turned out to be the Suncoast rear speaker kit wired using a 996 Cabriolet amp. The dash and door speaker (still OE) sound improved dramatically and the rear sound is pretty good, too, even if the speakers are about an inch from the seat backs.

I don't think I'm going any farther than this regarding amp and speakers, although Sirius and NAV are highly desired.

Recently did a long 2-day highway trip and the car is too noisy to enjoy stereo in any event. My next sound system upgrade may be quieter tires!

Bruce Wayne 05-17-2015 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giller (Post 450045)
Hey all...curious if anyone has experience/knowledge of Focal speakers. Have a 987 Boxster with the base sound system so need an upgrade. Wondering about swapping out factory stuff with Focal 100's in the dash and 165's in the doors. Thoughts? Will that make much of a difference, or do I really need to get the rear speakers and maybe an amp/sub?
Not looking for loud - looking for a nice, clean sound.
Thanks!

I love focal speakers. Yes, they are more expensive than other brands, but personally, i think they give a clean sound, low end is not too wallowey at under 100hz or slappy at 120 hz, top end is crisp without being sharp or tinny. the mid range is warm and smooth.

Had 12 focal speakers (component) in my triple black E36 a few years back with the Infinity powered sub.. Alpine head unit and amps. it wasnt obnoxious loud or bassy, but could enjoy good quality sounds with the roof down on the run from LA to Vegas.

It made the drive a pleasure. Best sounding system i've ever done and been a convert to Focal ever since!

thom4782 05-18-2015 03:12 AM

Have Focal speakers and added rear speakers. The rear speakers made the greatest improvement and the Focal speakers are great.

Dlirium 05-18-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom4782 (Post 450192)
Have Focal speakers and added rear speakers. The rear speakers made the greatest improvement and the Focal speakers are great.

I would suggest that a sub is WAY more important than rear speakers.

Are you running the stock head unit and amp? I can understand wanting rear speakers if this is the case, because it would give you more volume. If you replace the stock head unit and amp with enough power to drive the Focals (I am using a JL XD500 amp), then you have PLENTY of volume in the cabin on 2 channels...

Run 05-18-2015 09:24 AM

I added the matched set plus focal amp to my 03. Some of the best sound I think you could get in the Boxster. The door speakers add enough base for my taste. The Bose system in my cayman with the sub woofer has too much base IMO

Dlirium 05-18-2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Run (Post 450218)
I added the matched set plus focal amp to my 03. Some of the best sound I think you could get in the Boxster. The door speakers add enough base for my taste. The Bose system in my cayman with the sub woofer has too much base IMO

Yes - key being "for your taste". Door speakers do NOT add enough bass to accurately reproduce the bottom register of the music, but you may or may not want it...

And don't get me started on BOSE... :eek:

Run 05-18-2015 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlirium (Post 450229)
Yes - key being "for your taste". Door speakers do NOT add enough bass to accurately reproduce the bottom register of the music, but you may or may not want it...

And don't get me started on BOSE... :eek:

I once had 15 inch subs running in my SUV Couldn't see out of the mirrors from all the shaking. I guess I became Bass deaf after that ! I also had to constantly tighten up all the nuts and bolts that held the car together :eek:

andys320 05-19-2015 09:37 AM

No real world experience of Focal but they have great reviews.

I upgraded to Infinity Reference speakers, dash only and left door speakers as they were, have an upgrade with Kenwood's I have planned.

Dash speakers on their own made a massive difference, would recommend.