Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #1

986 Performance parts wishlist

Hey guys.

I was wondering if you could have any performance part made for your car what would it be?

My business partner and I are Mechanical Engineering seniors. We have access to several CAD software packages, and we also have virtually unlimited access to a machine shop.

Post parts that you wish were available for the boxster, and if there is enough interest we will design, and produce the part for you.

We can design virtually anything you need, we just need ideas and feedback.

It can be anything, exhaust kits, intakes, control arms, various linkages etc. Whatever. post it here and we'll see if we can design and manufacture it for you.

rayner@r2specracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #2

- dependable AOS replacement that doesn't cost what the Porsche Motorsport AOS costs ($700).

- electric power steering kit that doesn't cost what the Porsche Cup kit costs ($2k).

- steel spark plug tubes that don't crack.

- an intake plenum that doesn't cost what the IPD plenum costs ($900).

- panels to cover the exposed lines that run under the car.

- a 7.8 DME back-date kit that allows you to put a 7.8 engine in a 7.2.

- adaptor kit that allows you to get your 'S' centre rad to vent upwards (without having to replace it with a GT3 kit).

- i think the BMC CDA is the way to go for CAI; a kit that comes with all the bits to fit it in the Boxster would be useful.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King
- dependable AOS replacement that doesn't cost what the Porsche Motorsport AOS costs ($700).

- electric power steering kit that doesn't cost what the Porsche Cup kit costs ($2k).

- steel spark plug tubes that don't crack.

- panels to cover the exposed lines that run under the car.

- a 7.8 DME back-date kit that allows you to put a 7.8 engine in a 7.2.

- adaptor kit that allows you to get your 'S' centre rad to vent upwards (without having to replace it with a GT3 kit).

- i think the BMC CDA is the way to go for CAI; a kit that comes with all the bits to fit it in the Boxster would be useful.
Great!!! thanks for the feedback. We'll start researching some of these ideas, and post what we've found.

Thank you for the ideas keep them coming guys!
Old 06-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #4

I second a lot of these idea's:

As for the BMC CDA, I've already done that

sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I too would like to see some thin but tough (and yet easily removable) underbody panels to protect all those exposed important bits under the car.

I know you'll appreciate the can of worms you've opened up for yourselves as engineers, but hey, if you do manage to get really really close to satisfying the outlandish demands of your customer (us), kudos to you.

Oh, and how about a 4 litre flat six that fits in a 986 engine bay?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #6

that was my thinking with the 7.8 back-date kit - you can't run a 7.8 motor (ie, a 3.8) with a 7.2 DME, but you can but a 7.8 DME in a 7.2 car. you need to change some pin-outs (fabricate adaptors, extensions, etc.) replace the ABS controller (and gauge cluster if you want your cruise to work, and hvac controller if you want your a/c to work) and change fuel delivery from return to 1-way. add lowering motor and transmission mounts/adaptors and a few hose extensions/couplers and you should be there (that's what the internet tells me, anyway). A kit would be cool.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #7

its not a problem, the challenge is good. If we cant do it we can't but we are going to thoroughly research and try out the idea before we say it cant be done.

For the spark plug tube, would aluminum be acceptable or do you want steel specifically. The reason I ask is that steel is alot harder to machine.

I think Aluminum 6061 will also do the job right. Aluminum 6061 is very strong and very light weight its the grade commonly used on aircrafts.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparker
I second a lot of these idea's:

As for the BMC CDA, I've already done that

sam
I always love a nice carbon fiber part .. but what is a BMC CDA ?
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #9

Third these ideas....plus oil pressure and temp, voltage indication kit. Perhaps this could be done via a nav screen

Rear adjustable toe control arms seem to be very expensive for what they are.

Automatic fire suppression system for the engine compartment.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #10

Garage
Lightweight clutch pressure plate

Boxster S exhaust system with optimum tubing I.D. for street driving RPM

Air Oil Seperater improvements ie. a screen/filter that mounts on the 97-02 head where the boot attaches.

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #11

bmc is the company, cda stands for 'carbon dynamic airbox' - an inline cold air intake.

steel or alu; i would let the engineer advise as to the most suitable material.

re. gauges, plx has a multigauge that can display data in various formats - obd info from the computer, or specific sensor data (can mount in a 987 pod on the dash or a steering wheel pod). if you want oil temp, your stereo has the ability to display that. if you install an oil pressure sender on your motor and run the wire forward, a 996 gauge cluster will give volts and oil pressure.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #12

Got some updates on the spark plug tube. I just picked up one and dropped it off at my partners shop. Hes gonna discuss it with his machinist and see what we can get done.

Aluminum 6061 seems like the material we will be using though. I'll have the parts drawn up by tomorrow, and ill run some tests on it to make sure we wont run into any issues like thermal expansion etc.

We are guessing that porsche chose to make the tubes out of plastic because its cheap and also acts as a heat shield to protect the coils. Our solution will be to try adding a thermal coating to the tubes.

The final issue is the O rings. the OEM o-ring looks like its very high quality, that said it still seems a bit expensive for what it is, we will try to source a cheaper one with the same quality and include it in the kit.

Either way, i'll post more info as i get it.

Thanks again for the feed back
Old 06-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #13

For the AOS. Would you guys be open to replacing the entire system with a oil catch can? We could design a kit that replaces the factory AOS with an oil catch can.

An oil catch can would do the job as efficiently and would be more reliable, as you'ld never have to worry about replacing a leaking AOS. Plus it would look pretty cool installed IMHO
Old 06-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #14

i can't speak from experience, but others have done the catch can and it can fill up in higher-g/racing situations, so not a maintenance-free solution like the AOS (uh, ... not that the AOS is maintenance free ...).
Old 06-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #15

The machinist says its not a problem, does anyone have a used coil pack they want to part with so we can do some measurements off it? thats the last thing we need to do.

It doesnt have to be working we just need to make sure everything fits before making them
Old 06-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #16

Heres a pic of the spark plug tube. Its drawn to scale, we're gonna perform some tests on it, then we'll give the machinist the drawing to make a prototype

After that I'll put up a thread setting up a group buy

the black area is the thermal coating
Old 06-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #17

Looks great, well done!
Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #18

Alright next part the covers under the chassis to cover the exposed wires.

QUestion do you guys want them made out of plastic or aluminum?

Also does anyone know of a boxster owner that lives in the dallas, plano, lewisville or denton texas area. We just need to see your car for a day to take pictures of the underbody and make some measurements.

We should be able to get those panels made pretty quickly
Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayner@r2specracing
The machinist says its not a problem, does anyone have a used coil pack they want to part with so we can do some measurements off it? thats the last thing we need to do.

It doesnt have to be working we just need to make sure everything fits before making them
I can help you with that. pm your address and I will get it to you.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayner@r2specracing
Alright next part the covers under the chassis to cover the exposed wires.

QUestion do you guys want them made out of plastic or aluminum?

Also does anyone know of a boxster owner that lives in the dallas, plano, lewisville or denton texas area. We just need to see your car for a day to take pictures of the underbody and make some measurements.

We should be able to get those panels made pretty quickly
I'm in Dallas / Plano and can offer my 2003 for measurements. Send me a PM to make arrangements.