Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2015, 11:17 PM   #1

front emergency boot release (EBR (not)) 987

Has anyone tried it ? the reason I ask is I had the bumper off yesterday and decided to reroute the EBR to a more convenient location, well let me tell you now don't think for one minute that you will be able to gain access to the boot using it, the design of the cable and how it attaches to the mechanism is non workable, (photos to follow when im on nights more time then) I got a pair of mole grips on the EBR and tried to pull even with the wheel off note!! the wheel locking nut will be in the boot so you wouldn't have the luxury of having such good access to the EBR cable, but having good access and being able to give it a good pull in the correct direction/angle it would not open, there is a fix/mod that I have done, will post with the photos.
I'm just wondering has anyone been in a situation with a 987 and had to try the EBR ?
Guvs.

Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:39 AM   #2

Garage
The most typical re-route is into the tow hook hole. That is where I have re-routed and if the cable is working correctly you can pop tow hook bumper cap off and there it is. I put a small bolt on the end so the cable couldn't work back into the tow hole. I can open my frunk with a pull on the cable located there.
I could get to it by removing the right headlight and from there feed it into the Tow Hook hole
Old 05-14-2015, 06:59 AM   #3
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
like kk2002s said . . . .

"I could get to it by removing the right headlight and from there feed it into the Tow Hook hole"

In addition I took off the plastic piece held down by plastic 'rivets' in the frunk above the bumper to assist in getting at the cable and working it to the tow hook access. Works like a charm
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
The most typical re-route is into the tow hook hole. That is where I have re-routed and if the cable is working correctly you can pop tow hook bumper cap off and there it is. I put a small bolt on the end so the cable couldn't work back into the tow hole. I can open my frunk with a pull on the cable located there.
I could get to it by removing the right headlight and from there feed it into the Tow Hook hole
I did that (Tow Hook) mod on my 986 but I'm on about a 987, it just will not work.
Those of you with 987's have a look before it's too late.
Guvs.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:05 PM   #5

Well here is what I was on about; the complete plastic white boot release mechanism is just under the boot lining, not secured to anything just loose, you’ll see the reason for this later.

I followed the EBR wire around the boot to where it goes through the grommet and out into the wheel arch.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #6

This is where I tried to pull it with a pair of mole grips to open the boot as you would be expected to do in an emergency.

Well all that happens when you pull the wire is the small metal bit with the hole in at the mechanism end, this should pull along the whole white plastic bit up/along the outer cable and at the same time pull the inner metal cable that’s attached to it, that's why it's not attached to anything in the boot as far as I can see that's the only reason, this should release the boot catch.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #7

But all it does is digs into the outer cable and stops dead because of the angle of the wire when pulled.

What I did was attach a length of electrical cable, (this was just to see if it worked will replace it with the correct wire later) to the bulk of the white plastic mechanism so I could pull it from that end and not try and slide the metal piece up, hope this makes sense, if you have a 987 have a look behind the boot lining you’ll see what I mean.

Sorry I had to do it in 3 threads as there were was too much detail for one hit.

Guvs.