986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   2.7 with all bolt-on's vs. stock 3.2... who wins? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/5707-2-7-all-bolt-ons-vs-stock-3-2-who-wins.html)

Porschekid 04-13-2006 06:13 AM

2.7 with all bolt-on's vs. stock 3.2... who wins?

I was wonder which 986 would put down more power and be quicker... a 2.7 with intake, chip, headers, exhaust... or a stock S? Anyone have a dyno comparison or anything of the 2?

MNBoxster 04-13-2006 08:24 AM

Hi,

Who wins...?? The AfterMarket Suppliers do of course... ;)

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Porschekid 04-13-2006 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Who wins...?? The AfterMarket Suppliers do of course... ;)

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Hah... good one. :D

TriGem2k 04-13-2006 11:04 AM

I think the 2.7 would have a shot at it

TriGem2k 04-13-2006 11:06 AM

Once im done with my car id like to run a 3.2...

Brucelee 04-13-2006 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porschekid
I was wonder which 986 would put down more power and be quicker... a 2.7 with intake, chip, headers, exhaust... or a stock S? Anyone have a dyno comparison or anything of the 2?

My guess is that the answer would depend on where in the power band you are. I would put money on the 3.2 having more torque down low and a broader power curve.

Just a thought!

TriGem2k 04-13-2006 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
My guess is that the answer would depend on where in the power band you are. I would put money on the 3.2 having more torque down low and a broader power curve.

Just a thought!

I would definitly say the same as far as torque....The 2.7 will have more power up top though....

986Jim 04-14-2006 04:18 AM

A 2.7 with all bolt ons? So meaning what? Bolt ons for me are Superchargers, Turbo's and Nitrous kits. I have an NX kit sitting around my house that has been tempting me for a 100 shot on the boxster lol.. I'm sure that would wipe the smile off a 3.2's face.

And no nitrous does not blow up cars, stop watching fast and furious and reading dumb magazines. I pumped 200whp shot through my GTI VR6 and on the Talon 25psi of boost with a 50hp shot on race gas to make 490whp with no problems. I'm willing to bet the Box could take a 200hp shot and not throw a rod. My dad's maxima ran a 200hp shot and didn't blow up (VQ35DE same as a 350Z motor).

With I/H/E I think the 3.2 would still win however.

Porschekid 04-14-2006 11:50 AM

Parts that are upgrades of original parts are considered bolt-ons. Supplimental parts such as turbo, supercharger, nitrous, aren't.

986Jim 04-15-2006 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porschekid
Parts that are upgrades of original parts are considered bolt-ons. Supplimental parts such as turbo, supercharger, nitrous, aren't.

Bolt ons are anything bolted onto the motor on the outside. Non bolt ons are inside the motor, pistons, rods, headwork valves etc.. It's purely definitioin.

If you look at the manufacturers rows at SEMA bolt on has turbo and s/c'ing in it because they from an industry perspective are bolt ons. I also consider them that way because bolting on a turbo or s/c to something is quite common for me really. I also write independantly for a few Performance Import Magazines (hense the Talon with 425whp on pump gas) and work in the industry.

What your refering to is what we call I/H/E.. Those are starter parts where most people get their first kick from. (Intake Header Exhaust)

insite 04-16-2006 04:50 AM

another benefit is that the 5-speed gearbox has a higher final drive.

mjw930 04-16-2006 05:17 AM

The 3.2 wins, especially the '03 - '04 flavor.

I think it's been proven for the most part that most of the "bolt on's" provide little to no real world performance benefit on the Boxster motors. Porsche has done a REALLY good job of wringing as much power out of these motors as possible and that's proven out by the lack of effect most bolt on's have. Of course a full blown, none street legal header, exhaust, intake and chip version of the 2.7 might put down numbers at or above a stock 3.2 but when you look at the "area under the torque curve" you'll see the '03 - '04 3.2 simply provides more power in more places.

Now, take the 3.2 and do the same things to it and you're approaching the Carrera performance envelope :D

Of course this is all IMHO and YMMV :cheers: