986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   EVO Highflow intake. 8-10hp anybody have one? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/5706-evo-highflow-intake-8-10hp-anybody-have-one.html)

986Jim 04-13-2006 04:42 AM

EVO Highflow intake. 8-10hp anybody have one?

So I'm looking at this:
http://www.evoms.com/NEW-NEW-INTAKE.jpg
from Evo http://www.evoms.com/porsche%20ec%20art%20test.htm click Boxster then Intake.

They claim 8-10whp and tested in on a 00 S model and gained 11 hp. Dyno Chart

The design seems solid with using the stock pipe at the end to fit perfectly, smooth polyurethane piping to the MAF with a billet housing that moves the MAF sensor over and a open cone filter with a heat shield. Honestly I can't see how this won't make power over the stock air box with all the stupid resonance chambers, wrinkled piping and limited filter element size.

They sell for $379 which is a bit steep for an intake but considering the CNC maf housing I know that’s a bit of work for setup and making them all so that’s worth some money plus all the R&D testing it etc.. it seems pretty good.

Anybody else have one or know anything about it? I know we all say stick with the stock air box, but there are gains to be made over a stock system that’s designed to keep noise down to a certain decibel limit. That’s a compromise and when you compromise design for noise you trade off HP every time.

PorscheDoc 04-13-2006 05:24 AM

I have installed a ton of them, and it is a great upgrade over the stock airbox. 8-10hp has been proven on the dyno. I would do intake, then muffler, then chip in that order (ideally intake and muffler together, as you are shoving more air into the engine, and want to get it out just as quick to make your optimal power).

mach schnell 04-13-2006 07:30 AM

hey porsche doc - is that a ditto for the 987 models or mostly on 986 models?

denverpete 04-13-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986Jim
So I'm looking at this:
http://www.evoms.com/NEW-NEW-INTAKE.jpg
from Evo http://www.evoms.com/porsche%20ec%20art%20test.htm click Boxster then Intake.
...They sell for $379 which is a bit steep for an intake but considering the CNC maf housing I know that’s a bit of work for setup and making them all so that’s worth some money plus all the R&D testing it etc.. it seems pretty good....

Don't let the words "CNC" make you think it's some high-fallutin-fancy-schmancy-expensive part. It's a freaking piece of metal with a few holes welded onto some tubing.

I could have that "CNC" part + the tube + welding + paint manufactured at any machine shop with a Swiss tool for around $6.00 total at quantities of 50-100. Over 100 it would drop drastically.

The whole thing looks like it could be manufactured and assembled for around $50.00 - probably $25.00. If people are willing to spend $379.00 for that - I'm in the wrong business....

Regardless - I'd love a new intake....

nastyboxster 04-13-2006 12:25 PM

I have intake and I do feel the gain when you go above 4500rpm. I got the intake for the increase in performance, but what I really like is the sound it makes when you floor the car. For $379, it's a nice upgrade. The only problem is that it is a pain to install it.

Porsche Doc, thanks for the advice from your previous posts - I got the intake first, then the muffler. I'll be installing the 2nd Cat bypass and then lastly, - the chip.

Porsche Doc, one more question. Have you install any chips from Powerchip? They have a gold 93 Octane gas option that increase hp by 22 vs. 15. I think GIAC only have one program running on 91 Octane at 15hp increase. Also, Powerchip claims that the increase does not have to be combine with the new intake. Is this possible?

RandallNeighbour 04-13-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverpete
If people are willing to spend $379.00 for that - I'm in the wrong business....

Last time I got off the phone with you I thought the same thing. You ARE in the wrong business. You and I should be making this stuff for the Boxster and offering it for far less than EVO, which will still make it highly profitable.

BTW, I have yet to find a machine shop in Houston to do what we talked about on the phone a couple of months ago. Been too busy, but I'm still working on it.

986silverbullet 04-13-2006 01:24 PM

actually im ordering a EVO intake Tomarow i was considering the MSDS intake but since no one has any iformation on it other then MSDS WEB SITE im going to just go with the EVO so ILL let everyone know HOW I LIKE IT but i dont know of any Dyno shops around so im probley not going to have the Exact HP gain but ill let you know if i feel a Diffrence and (HEAR) a Diffrence :):)

denverpete 04-13-2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Last time I got off the phone with you I thought the same thing. You ARE in the wrong business. You and I should be making this stuff for the Boxster and offering it for far less than EVO, which will still make it highly profitable.

BTW, I have yet to find a machine shop in Houston to do what we talked about on the phone a couple of months ago. Been too busy, but I'm still working on it.

You need to stop going to the Doctor and get with the program there buddy! There are a few "parts" that I need to replace but I've been holding off on doing it myself because of our conversation. Well, that and I respect my elders.

But, I'm just not going to pay what Porsche is asking when I can design/fab a better part - cheaper!

AUDIOGUY 04-13-2006 02:26 PM

I have the EVO and I love it. The sound is fantastic matched with a B and B exhaust!
Definate gains can be felt in performance.

Best of luck!

986Jim 04-14-2006 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverpete
Don't let the words "CNC" make you think it's some high-fallutin-fancy-schmancy-expensive part. It's a freaking piece of metal with a few holes welded onto some tubing.

I could have that "CNC" part + the tube + welding + paint manufactured at any machine shop with a Swiss tool for around $6.00 total at quantities of 50-100. Over 100 it would drop drastically.

The whole thing looks like it could be manufactured and assembled for around $50.00 - probably $25.00. If people are willing to spend $379.00 for that - I'm in the wrong business....

Regardless - I'd love a new intake....

Yeah, I'm aware of the CNC part. The piece that the sensor hooks too is CNC cut and it's a tube with the same ID welded to it. However it does take time for all this to be developed and do all the R&D. The plastic is injection moulded which costs for the first one but you can pump them out afterwards.

I'm currently in the finishing stages helping with R&D on a Tensioner Pully for high HP honda motors, it's all CNC and fairly simple. We have spent about 400hr's on it so far and a lot of money. They are finally done and should cost us about $25 each after it's all done. The first 200 we sell will only get our money back, so it's not that profitable.

Regardless I can see $375 is expensive but nobody else has built something better or cheaper so really we have to pay to play. I'm not all that worried about the cost, but more how it works. It's more work for me to develop something custom myself vs buy something for that price thats already done. My time is worth more than $375 if you know where I'm coming from. So for me thats a descent price really.

Well it seems like it's really getting good reviews, so sounds like we have a winner here for an intake. Glad to hear it really sounds the business too, thats nice. I much prefer an intake roar vs. a loud exhaust system. A nice balance of the two is music to my ears.

clubhead 04-14-2006 09:51 AM

Quote:

... Honestly I can't see how this won't make power over the stock air box with all the stupid resonance chambers, wrinkled piping and limited filter element size....

Says it all : http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/2172-dyno-report-evo-highflow-intake-kit-boxster-s.html

The problem with these kits is that they give a great sound. And it feels great to hear that glorious induction noise whenever you floor it. Most will equate that with more power and WANT to equate that with more power. Especially after spending $300+ on the thing. My butt dyno is retard so I prefer to rely on good ol dyno figures.

I've since removed the kit and it's all nicely packed up in a box. When I've the time, I'll take some photos of the kit and put it up for sale. Interested? I'll let you have it for half the price I paid :) Only problem is shipping to you in US.

xclusivecar 04-14-2006 11:34 AM

DeSnorkel...its free! $300+ for maybe 8 HP? Crazy. :rolleyes:

986Jim 05-09-2006 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clubhead
I've since removed the kit and it's all nicely packed up in a box. When I've the time, I'll take some photos of the kit and put it up for sale. Interested? I'll let you have it for half the price I paid :) Only problem is shipping to you in US.

Well I got Clubhead's old kit and installed it yesterday. Took me about 4 hours in total to install. His car is a Boxster S so I had to make up a different piece of silicone hosing about 6" long to make up for where the Boxster S throttle body is more angled than the 2.5L one is. NO big deal really, I can make just about anything work. Having to move the intake manifold was no big deal honestly. If you have the right tools it was one of the the easier parts. Pull the stock air box was a PITA, one bolt must be reached from under the car, but you can do it with the car on the floor normally just take off the plastic tray on the one side and reach up your hand, once I found it I got it out pretty easily. Pulling the air box was a bit of a trick but once the neck with the MAF was out the rest of the box came out. It took about 10 mins of prying to get the box out.

Overall I have to say the sound alone is worth it for this intake. I'm really not interested in an exhaust system anymore, the intake Roar from this is probably 10X what de-snorkling the intake was, it's FRIGGIN LOUD! Seriously sounds good however.

It was a nice cool night last night and the car felt faster, but thats hard to tell. A trip to the dyno will sort that out. I love the hang the car around corners in massive over steer and it seemed much easier to do that. I'm not sure if it was due to better throttle response from the smooth intake with a cone filter or what but there were definate changes for the better.

Overall impression of the intake was the plastic is OEM quality, the heat shield was sooo tight there is no way heat from the engine bay is going to blow into that area it seals very tight and totally sections off the area around the filter. So much so that it's really a pain to install. Once the car is moving a lot of fresh air will rush that area of the box so I'm sure as previously noted it's cooler than the stock air box is, and understandably so. The spot for the MAF is a good tight seal, and inside the intake pipes is VERY smooth so air will rush through that pretty nicely vs. the wrinkled pipe.

The Stock intake pipe has some major restrictions in it, one part being crushed down to about 1/2 the size that it looks. The car would benefit from just a new pipe to the stock air box a lot if you don't want to buy the whole kit.

Overall I'm pretty happy and would do it again.

xclusivecar 05-09-2006 05:25 AM

Many people have been concerned with water entering their intake track when they de-snorkel their car. After seeing the stock airbox you will realize this is almost impossible. With this kit it looks as though the filter is completely open to the elements...hence the great intake sound. Are you concerned of water from washing the car or a driving rain soaking the filter and causing problems? :cheers:

986Jim 05-10-2006 06:03 PM

No not really. In the shop I work at part time (performance shop mainly for Honda Acura) many cars show up with AEM cold air intakes on them (Type-R, Civic SIR etc) and they are totally open to the elements right in the front bumper. As in rain and road splashing are hitting right on the filter and they don't have a problem.

There are such things as water injection kits that are used for tuning (a band aid job if you ask me) that injects mists of water into the intake tract to lower the air temp which helps avoid knock on high hp cars. Your engine can take in a pretty large sum of water. Only that this sum can not be more than the sum of your head CC and CC of the dish on the pistons as water does not compress.

The average head hat 70-90cc of volume and with say 10:1 pistons you will add another 40cc from the bottom end. So in theory you could suck up 130cc of water (which is a lot) before running into problems. The amount you would suck from a wet cone filter with a pretty large surface area is pretty small and nothing to worry about.

Even with the filter half submerged in water I doubt you would pick up that much. The engine probablly pulls in 250cfm of air, the filter is capable of 800cfm or more, so the filter could be half covered and still feed the engine. If the car was fully submerged it would be a problem for sure, however you would have other problems such as that big ass tornado about to suck you up...

JP-s-in st. louis 05-10-2006 07:37 PM

The Evo intake as one of my first mods., I think it does add power 10Rwhp probably not. I like the sound and, my dyno results showed an increase with it and the Cargraphic muffler. If you ask PorscheDoc you may get a group buy going on. ;) :cheers:

MNBoxster 05-10-2006 08:33 PM

Quote:

No not really. In the shop I work at part time (performance shop mainly for Honda Acura) many cars show up with AEM cold air intakes on them (Type-R, Civic SIR etc) and they are totally open to the elements right in the front bumper. As in rain and road splashing are hitting right on the filter and they don't have a problem.

There are such things as water injection kits that are used for tuning (a band aid job if you ask me) that injects mists of water into the intake tract to lower the air temp which helps avoid knock on high hp cars. Your engine can take in a pretty large sum of water. Only that this sum can not be more than the sum of your head CC and CC of the dish on the pistons as water does not compress.

The average head hat 70-90cc of volume and with say 10:1 pistons you will add another 40cc from the bottom end. So in theory you could suck up 130cc of water (which is a lot) before running into problems. The amount you would suck from a wet cone filter with a pretty large surface area is pretty small and nothing to worry about.

Even with the filter half submerged in water I doubt you would pick up that much. The engine probablly pulls in 250cfm of air, the filter is capable of 800cfm or more, so the filter could be half covered and still feed the engine. If the car was fully submerged it would be a problem for sure, however you would have other problems such as that big ass tornado about to suck you up...

Hi,

Normally I would basically agree with you, but not in this case. The Boxster does have a history of water entering the intake and fouling the Motor.

So much so that Porsche even put out a TSB on it - TSB 7a/97 2425 - Water in Air Cleaner Housing.

In it they state:"Condition: Engine misfires during driving, rough running, poor starting.

Water can enter the air cleaner housing via the air guide when
the vehicle is driven in unfavorable weather conditions, e.g. during
rainstorms.

This can cause engine misfires and rough running and possible water-locking of the engine.

These problems do not necessarily occur during these weather conditions; they could show up later on. Please ask the customer if the vehicle was driven in these weather conditions

They also include a MOD to the existing AirBox which includes:
  • 1. A gasket between the outer left air guide and the body
    seals out water.
    2. A deflector is fitted on the air cleaner intake opening, and a water separator bowl is fitted on the air cleaner housing.
    3. The formerly used water shield support in the flow duct has been omitted.

They price this using 130 TU (Time Units - minutes) for the MOD. The interesting thing is that by de-snorkeling you would actually decrease the possibility of this happening because there is no direct path for the water to follow to the Air Filter and beyond... Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

986Jim 05-11-2006 05:56 AM

It would have to seriously injest a lot of water for something to happen tho. Doens't really matter much to me either way I dont drive my car in the rain anyway, I have the Jetta for that.

Besides a TSB is when it happens to a very limited number of cars and they either don't know the problem, or are guessing what it is. The chances still remain that nothing will ever happen regardless. Your intake system sucks up water and water vapor everytime you drive in the rain. Most intake systems draw from behind the headlight of a FWD Front engine car, they are just as prone to suck up water, but it just doens't seem to happen or matter.

The chances of that happening with an open air filter that has 360* to draw from would be minimized in my opinion vs. a flat panel filter with less surface area. Either way I just don't see it happening or causing a problem even if it does.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0104scc_aem_air_bypass_valve/

Here is an interesting article where AEM ran an NSX on the dyno with the filter submerged and only using their air bypass valve. If your so worried about water it really is the answer. Even after lifting the filter out of the water, air bypassed the water through the main filter and never reached the engine. Of course the intake is not how it would normally be, but you can see that even with 250whp it can't draw air up a foot of pipe into the engine, and it's right there.

insite 05-11-2006 08:19 AM

Quote:

Honestly I can't see how this won't make power over the stock air box with all the stupid resonance chambers......

oddly, porsche claims that the resonance chamber is designed to stabilize pressure in the tubing by reducing incoming charge pulsations. they claim this is necessary for a more accurate MAF reading. not sure if it's BS or what; interesting none the less.

anyone compared the sound of a de-snorkeled box to an evo'd box?

JP-s-in st. louis 05-11-2006 09:05 AM

OH yea I had the Box for a week when I de-snorked. It sounded OK but NO power increase. I then installed the EVO intake and the acceleration was MUCH smoother. The power seemed to be more fluid especially after 4K rpms. Later I did install a K&N filter because the Evo is paper and cheap IMHO. No MAF issues and all smiles, with that and a Cargraphic muffler my dyno sheet read 232RWHP..