Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
How do I acquirer a 550 Special Edition Tune?

Like the title says I want to get the tune from a 2004 550 Anniversary Special Edition Boxster?

How do I get it?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have a Tiptronic transmission, so would I need the tune from a 2004 550 Anniversary Special Edition Boxster that has a Tiptronic trans?

Thanks!

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-30-2015 at 08:52 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:28 PM   #2
Need For Speed

Garage
Ok, maybe I worded this wrong. I want to get a 2004 550 Anniversary Special Edition Boxster tune pushed into my 2003 Boxster S.

How do I go about getting this done?

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2015, 01:34 AM   #3
Rennzenn

Garage
The best place for this would be a very friendly dealership. You'll need someone with the PIWIS or PST2. Either is the factory computer tool... Expensive and licensed. Durametric et al cannot do this.
Just wondering why you are looking specifically for this tune?
Old 05-01-2015, 03:26 AM   #4
Need For Speed

Garage
I want to run the larger MAF housing. The 2004 550 Anniversary Special Edition Boxster came from the factory with the 987 air box and larger MAF housing. So the ecu is programed to calculate the air volume with the larger MAF housing.

I figure this would be a cheaper way, then buying a custom flash.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #5

sorry can't help you with the factory 550 tune but the only tuner that I know of that actually have a tune "off the shelf" with your specs would be softronic
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetee View Post
sorry can't help you with the factory 550 tune but the only tuner that I know of that actually have a tune "off the shelf" with your specs would be softronic
Yeah, while they lighten your wallet $895 for the flash.

Think I'll call some indy shops and even the Porsche dealer to see if I can get the 550 Special Edition tune pushed into my car.

Last edited by KRAM36; 05-01-2015 at 05:36 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:20 AM   #7
Rennzenn

Garage
If you get this done, post and let us know details. While you are at it, you might see if there's a ROW version. With earlier ROW versions, you can get rid of the header cats and secondary air injection..
Old 05-03-2015, 05:29 AM   #8
Need For Speed

Garage
I'm limited on what headers I can use because of the Tiptronic transmission. The issue is the coolant hoses going to the trans. I have found one one header that I can use with this car and it comes with a 200 Cell cat.

Porsche Boxster 986 / S NHP 200 Cells Exhaust Headers - Maxspeed-Motorsports

So a ROW tune isn't needed. I just want to be able to open up the intake some more and the 550 Special Edition tune would allow me to do that.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:46 AM   #9
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
If you get this done, post and let us know details. While you are at it, you might see if there's a ROW version. With earlier ROW versions, you can get rid of the header cats and secondary air injection..
Called 2 Performance places here and neither could do it. Called the dealership and and had to leave a message as the service manager was not available.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Called 2 Performance places here and neither could do it. Called the dealership and and had to leave a message as the service manager was not available.
Read your stuff about using a bigger throttle body and keeping the smaller MAF . Did you ever find a way to use an anniversary tune and use a bigger maf housing now?
I have collected a 987 airbox and bigger TB and 996 distribution plenum and am about to go down this path with my 2001S. I have the choice of either maf housing still to be decided.
johnsjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #11

I too completed this mod and went with the smaller Maf. Somewhere back in the original thread it was advised not to go with the bigger maf. If I recall the DME can only adjust to up to 20% more with the larger TB and 986 Maf and any more air with larger 987 Maf would put it over the edge. I'm still happy with it though as it is a noticeable change in performance.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #12

SE tune will only work on 2003 and 2004 cars w 7.8 dme and the updated heads. you have a 2001 so think your best bet if you want to run the larger maf housing is a 996.1 tune.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
SE tune will only work on 2003 and 2004 cars w 7.8 dme and the updated heads. you have a 2001 so think your best bet if you want to run the larger maf housing is a 996.1 tune.
I went ahead yesterday and changed to ROW tuning The indie I used could only offer either of 2 Euro tunes standard ROW and Euro obd2. He is a factory trained Porsche tech originally from Chicago and now in Sarasota Fl. and seemed to know what he was talking about. I asked him to attempt to use Row 996.1 but he said he could only load the options offered for the 2001 986 originally.
He explained a virgin DME can be flashed either way but once married to a chassis it,s options are limited. That's why the immobilizer and DME codes are required for a reflash. I took the car to him to get another key made and since we were hooked up to program the key we did the flash at the same time.
I have tracked down the larger 996 throttle body, a 996 air T, and a 987 Air filter housing with the larger maf housing included. I have both maf housings available to me now since I also have the original. So far it seems small Maf might be the most often recommended .
I recently bought the car in Florida and am importing it to Canada in April. My next hurdle will be passing Ontario drive clean (with Row tuning) . Since technically Canada is part of the Rest Of the World (Row) I am hoping that since I have no Cel on the car will pass as is.
I have been reading all I can find on the 987 ,996 throttle body change and will do the changes once past the emission test.
I would appreciate any further insight about what actually changes with Row tuning also ,other than just eliminating the monitoring of rear lambda ,secondary air injection and clutch interlock. I hope it runs a slightly more aggressive advance for premium gas (Euro 98 vs what ever it,s tuned to in the US).

Radium King Do you know anyone in Ont running Row tuning and having been thru Drive clean? I still have all cats and other equipment as original.

Last edited by johnsjmc; 02-09-2016 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:40 AM   #14

i'm in nwt so no testing here. try jaykay or some of the other Ontario crew. I know there are folks in the usa that have had success w row tune and smog testing.

i'm pretty sure it is possible to do a tune from another model without a virgin dme as there are a few of us doing just that. i'll dig up the instructions and get them to you tomorrow.

I think I also have info on row/na tune differences, but not at my fingertips. I can't recall on timing, but I think the row tune is less sensitive and less likely to throw a cel in general.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #15
On the slippery slope

Garage
How did your indie program a key? My understanding thy would need special security codes that only a dealer can get form Porsche
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
How did your indie program a key? My understanding thy would need special security codes that only a dealer can get form Porsche
The indie is a former certified Pcar tech. He needed the vin first and contacted someone ( presumably at the dealer where he used to work) for the access codes. cost me $200 for a new key and fob with programming included.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #17
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsjmc View Post
The indie is a former certified Pcar tech. He needed the vin first and contacted someone ( presumably at the dealer where he used to work) for the access codes. cost me $200 for a new key and fob with programming included.
That was a pretty good deal
I paid $210 for key fob and programming using the old physical key
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:13 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsjmc View Post
Not to take away from what you're doing, but that's actually kind of scary. It was my impression that to get a new or reprogrammed key the owner of the vehicle has to present a VIN and prove ownership of the car before a new or reprogrammed key can be issued. If things are that loose what's to prevent a thief from iphoning your Vin and representing himself to a dealer as an indy and getting a key to your car. I must be over looking something here but that seemed too easy.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
Not to take away from what you're doing, but that's actually kind of scary. It was my impression that to get a new or reprogrammed key the owner of the vehicle has to present a VIN and prove ownership of the car before a new or reprogrammed key can be issued. If things are that loose what's to prevent a thief from iphoning your Vin and representing himself to a dealer as an indy and getting a key to your car. I must be over looking something here but that seemed too easy.
The indie knows someone in a dealership somewhere. I had the ownership with me when I showed up with the car and also another working key which starts the car. We replaced and programmed a new head because I only have one key and it,s remote functions aren,t working. Perhaps he would have asked to see the ownership if I didn,t have a key which allowed me to drive the car already