Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2006, 08:02 AM   #1

98 Porsche Boxster Blue Smoke Start

Ok guys anyone had this issue. One day completely out of the blue my Boxster upon starting sends a hellatious amount of "blueish" smoke into the air. This continues for 30 to 60 sec and then quits or stops when taking off. I have it scheduled to go into the shop tomorrow but with all the engine blowing stories on this forum I am wondering if this is a good time to trade this puppy in on something else?

Keddie

Keddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:27 AM   #2

I have seen this occur with my '97 a couple of times. Usually when the car has sat cold for a while, or when it has been parked on a hill for a while. It dissapates in a few seconds and my dealer told me this was normal for the Boxster, just the way oil accumulates the "flat" engine design. If it's not regular and dissapates quickly my guess is your OK.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #3

Does this happen everytime the car starts or only periodically?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:12 AM   #4

From what I've experienced and heard about regarding Porsche Engine Failure - you're okay. There's generally no big warning sign (excluding dripping RMS) - it just happens....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #5

Hi,

At best it's just some accumulated Oil burning off. At worst, it the Air/Oil Separator.

If the former, don't worry about it. If the latter, it's a fairly inexpensive, fairly easy, DIY fix...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:57 PM   #6

Seeing as this is your first post, I would suggest you use the search button some more and see what posts you can find on this subject. It has been covered a few times already and you should be albe to find answers to just about every question you have from previous threads.

Not trying to be nasty or anything, but you can really find a lot of stuff already covered and it will answer a lot of your questions you may have about the car.

Welcome to 986Forums by the way....
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #7

Keddie,

I included a picture of my '05 Box smokin'. This is by far the best part about owning a Porsche. I marinate a brisket in "Stubbs Marinade" overnight. I park the Porsche on an incline for about two days and then start her up. I place the brisket right behind the tail pipe and BINGO...best damn brisket you will ever have. It is a new option on the 987...I think it is BS6547...The Brisket Smoker.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:37 AM   #8

Well the dealership said it was the Air/Oil seperator which has sprayed oil all over the inside of the engine. They said they would replace the hoses and seperator. $400.00. Then they said they need to takeoff the intake manifold off and clean it and then put them back on ect... 300.00 and stating it needs an oil change 195.00 just got one 5000 miles ago.

How hard is this to do myself?

And should new brakes cost 1,300.00?????

Thanks

Keddie
Old 04-12-2006, 07:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keddie
Well the dealership said it was the Air/Oil seperator which has sprayed oil all over the inside of the engine. They said they would replace the hoses and seperator. $400.00. Then they said they need to takeoff the intake manifold off and clean it and then put them back on ect... 300.00 and stating it needs an oil change 195.00 just got one 5000 miles ago.

How hard is this to do myself?

And should new brakes cost 1,300.00?????

Thanks

Keddie
Hi,

R&R 'ing the Air/Oil Separators would be considered a somewhat major repair, but one which any competant DIY with a good set of tools can accomplish. It involves dropping the Oil Pan and disassembling the Air/Oil Separators and replacing them, then putting everything together again. You need to raise the Car as you're working underneath. You'll need a Torque Wrench as well. I'd give it a 5 on a 1-10 scale and think 3 Hrs. would be needed. So far as cleaning the Plenum, that's somewhat optional as the Oil will eventually work it's way through it, but that's additional work on the Top of the Motor, I'd probably do it too.

You need to drop the Oil to do the repair anyway, so you can perform your own Oil Change at this point for just the cost of materials. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:15 AM   #10

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think I'll try that myself I'll let the dealer do this. You said the cleaning of the intake manifold is optional? Will this just burn off after they replace the separator? He also mentioned the plugs may need replaced? I have not got a quote on how much that will cost yet. Just checking to make sure I'm not getting taken here.

What about the brakes?

Thanks for all you help.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:29 AM   #11

I just ordered the oil separator from Sunset. Here are the part numbers and cost:

Oil separator: 99610702303: $74.92
Oil Vent line (Jtube) 99610714506: 23.70
Window Regulator (driver side): 996.542.075.04: $149.49

OVERNIGHT SHIPPING: $30.00

THese prices are the cheapest I've seen.

JIm, I'm confused when you talk about removingthe oil pan. I thought the oil separator is in the superior part of the engine bay. THe only reason I've seen to jack up the car was to get access to the lower tubing that you need to unhook for replacement. Please clarify.

Here are the links' I've been going to. INCLUDING PICS.

http://renee.devetter.home.comcast.net/boxster/oilsep/index.htm

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6624&hl=oil+separater
ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #12

oooo...guess what everyone. My CEL turned OFF! I didn't replace anything yet, but the light seemed to turn off when I started my car with the A/C on. The idle runs better here. however, I still get the smoke, and the part should arrive tomororw.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #13

As promised guys. I replaced the oil separator, vent line, and I cleaned out the throttle as needed. Man.... this fixed my problem by far. My idle is back to normal, no more CEL, and it purrs like a kitten. Here are some pics and discoveries of how much oil I found in the throttle because of that Oil separator.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:43 PM   #14

Some more pics.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #15

Ok all I have to say is mine had better look as nice as yours. I payed 900.00 with oil change and it had best look like that. Great pics!
Old 04-16-2006, 05:30 PM   #16

Thanks Keddie. My last post didn't have the picture I wanted to show everyone. I guess I chose the wrong one when attaching. Here's an external view of BEFORE and AFTER.

Hopefully these additional pics don't make you feel any worse. But hey cheer up, you had it PROFESSIONALLY done, whereas I didn't.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:45 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralegen
Thanks Keddie. My last post didn't have the picture I wanted to show everyone. I guess I chose the wrong one when attaching. Here's an external view of BEFORE and AFTER.

Hopefully these additional pics don't make you feel any worse. But hey cheer up, you had it PROFESSIONALLY done, whereas I didn't.
Hey Ralegen how long did it take you in total? Im considering doing a oil change in a few months and figure I might as well change my air/oil seperator as well and clean the throttle body. What tools did you need to do it all? The seperator can be accessed from the service position correct?
Old 05-05-2006, 03:31 AM   #18
Ex Esso kid

Hey dudes,

My dealer had overfilled my Boxster just slightly, it makes the start up smoke effect way more pronounced. I changed my own oil, plug and crush ring this year and put the correct amount of 0-40 Mobil one. The car now smokes much less if at all.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:59 PM   #19

blinkwatt,

It didn't take too long. It took me about 3 hours, but I took my time. I could see this being done in about 1.5-2hours easy. In addition to getting to your engine from top, you will need to take off your passenger rear tire.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:07 AM   #20

I started my car up this morning for the first time in a week, and she shot out a nice puff of blue smoke right away. No big deal really, doesn't bother me. You should see the cloud of crap that comes out of the exhaust of the Talon at WOT. With as much boost as I run on huge injectors with a rich air/fuel ratio there's lots of grey smoke (unburnt gas) that comes out. So much so that I can see it in the headlights of the car I'm smoking (literally) behind me...

It's all just part of the fun...

http://www.etdracing.com/jim/backfire.wmv
Here's a nice example at the track. I hit the rev limiter at the top of 2nd here by accident. Sounds like a shot gun lol...

Last edited by 986Jim; 05-06-2006 at 06:09 AM.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote