986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Starter clicks, doesn't turn intermittantly, new battery (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/56821-starter-clicks-doesnt-turn-intermittantly-new-battery.html)

NewArt 04-21-2015 04:31 AM

Starter clicks, doesn't turn intermittantly, new battery

I changed the battery, thinking it was the culprit. Tests 12.5v. Running tests 14v.
This morning I turned the key and "click". Tried again and it started no problem. I had cleaned and regreased the starter/solenoid this winter as it was sticking and it has been working flawlessly until the last couple of days. I will check the battery tomorrow morning before I try to start it to see if there is some drain. Other suggestions?

amitmishra4 04-21-2015 07:48 AM

When was the ignition switch last replaced, if at all? That would be the first thing I would look at - cheap and good to do anyways.

NewArt 04-21-2015 08:08 AM

The switch was replaced about 3 years ago. If it were the switch, would the starter still click?

healthservices 04-21-2015 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 446057)
The switch was replaced about 3 years ago. If it were the switch, would the starter still click?

Of course check the battery leads, their connections are secure (both the positive and negative and at both ends) and don't blow off this as it does happen.

Surprisingly these stupid switches go out often. I would pull the engine cover and check power at the starter signal wire. If that is good and consistent, and the starter is still clicking, take a flat punch and hammer and hit the starter on the case a couple times. try cranking after this. If the starter immediately turns over, most likely the brushes have worn out in the starter.

mikefocke 04-21-2015 01:27 PM

Reminds me of a '60s Alfa I had where to start you took a long piece of wood and a hammer, opened up the hood and placed the wood on top of the solenoid and hit the wood with the hammer, lowered the hood and got in and it started. I got the strangest looks.

Gelbster 04-21-2015 01:58 PM

San Renso is the whizz at these questions.
It sounds like the low amp circuit from the key to the solenoid is working because of the click sound. Seems like the high amp connection/wiring is defective. In theory -just try to 'jump' the high amp connections on the starter if you have access -to prove the point ?

But that flaky VAG ignition switch is always the prime suspect !

robbiex1 04-21-2015 06:08 PM

Also, check the clutch switch. I got my car for below market value because the previous owner spent thousands chasing an intermittent starting problem. I reached down and bent the clutch switch as it wasn't closing and voila, no more starting problems.

These are known to fail regularly so I eventually just zip-tied mine closed and haven't had a problem since.

NewArt 04-22-2015 04:17 AM

Thanks for these suggestions. Mine's a tip so at least I can eliminate one source.

healthservices 04-22-2015 08:33 PM

Well, tips have a 'park an neutral saftety switch' so you are not totally clear

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk