986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   ROW Cam sensors (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/56656-row-cam-sensors.html)

whitecliffs 04-09-2015 12:11 PM

ROW Cam sensors

lve a ROW 996 engine in my boxster which is only fitted with one cam sensor and its on bank 1 - 3, i had a faulty variocam solenoid on bank 4 - 6 which was giving misfire codes on that bank, now by applying 12v repeatedly i got the solenoid to click which then cleared the misfires on bank 4 - 6 and smoothed out the tick over.

Now the question is with there being no cam sensor on bank 4 - 6 when i manually actuate the variocam solenoid should i be able to hear a change in the engine note like i can on bank 1 - 3 where the cam sensor is which will pick up a change in cam position, because at
the moment when i do actuate 4 - 6 i don't hear a change in engine note

At the moment ive got a new solenoid for bank 4 - 6 to fit, but don't fancy fitting it to find ive a faulty actuator and then have to pull it apart again

Bigsmoothlee 04-13-2015 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitecliffs (Post 444236)
lve a ROW 996 engine in my boxster which is only fitted with one cam sensor and its on bank 1 - 3, i had a faulty variocam solenoid on bank 4 - 6 which was giving misfire codes on that bank, now by applying 12v repeatedly i got the solenoid to click which then cleared the misfires on bank 4 - 6 and smoothed out the tick over.

Now the question is with there being no cam sensor on bank 4 - 6 when i manually actuate the variocam solenoid should i be able to hear a change in the engine note like i can on bank 1 - 3 where the cam sensor is which will pick up a change in cam position, because at
the moment when i do actuate 4 - 6 i don't hear a change in engine note

At the moment ive got a new solenoid for bank 4 - 6 to fit, but don't fancy fitting it to find ive a faulty actuator and then have to pull it apart again

Im sorry, but that sounds bizzare. If there is variocam, there must be a camshaft position sensor to monitor the camshaft angle on each cylinder head and report its function to the ECU.

Cyl 1-3 has one under the air and oil separator, Cyl 4-6 has one next to the AC compressor in the front of the engine.

Variocam activation is best done through a diagnostic computer like PIWIS or durametric... But if you activate it manually, there should be a drop in rpm at idle and a mild misfire.

Steve Tinker 04-13-2015 02:37 PM

I think what whitecliffs is saying is that on the ROW cars, you can only "read" one side of the engine's variocam solenoid angle.
For instance, on my ROW the Durametric can only read cam deviation on bank #1, unlike on the US version where the Durametric can read cam deviations on banks #1 and #2.
But yes I think you should be able to operate both bank solenoids (on/off) with the Durametric with the engine running.

whitecliffs 04-13-2015 10:32 PM

That right Steve there's only one sensor on ROW engines, anyway fixed it replace the solenoid on bank 4 - 6 and now when i manually operate it you can hear a change in engine note

Reebuck1 04-14-2015 05:40 PM

Row

Interesting comments....
I installed a 3.4 996 motor in my 1998 986 and re-flashed the DME with a ROW flash so I could remove most vacuum lines. I noticed when I did it that my Durametic stopped displaying my cam deviation on both banks. Sounds like you have had the same problems.

I have not called Durametric about it yet....I'll let you know what they say!

The Radium King 04-15-2015 12:02 AM

it's the nature of the row flash - no deviation reading for bank 2 - won't get one on a pst2 or piwis either. next time i have my pst2 on i'll check to see if i can get sctual values for bank 2 with my row flash. if no actual values either then no sensor. if no sensor on row engines then probably associated with emmissions and the fact that row cars have less strict emmissions requirements.