986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Coolant overflow (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/56597-coolant-overflow.html)

redeye280z 04-04-2015 03:58 AM

Coolant overflow

I changed the expansion tank because and refilled the system with airlift system so I would be able to get all air out. I did have a problem with the seals on the relief valve so I changed them. Now after a couple of test drive the I can see the antifreeze expands and leaks from the overflow tube. The problem is now the level is low so I filled back to minimum line and went for another drive and had the same thing happen. What gives?

JFP in PA 04-04-2015 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redeye280z (Post 443460)
I changed the expansion tank because and refilled the system with airlift system so I would be able to get all air out. I did have a problem with the seals on the relief valve so I changed them. Now after a couple of test drive the I can see the antifreeze expands and leaks from the overflow tube. The problem is now the level is low so I filled back to minimum line and went for another drive and had the same thing happen. What gives?

What are the last two part number digits on your tank cap?

redeye280z 04-04-2015 11:23 AM

The cap number is99610644700 it's a blue cap. I never had an issue with the cap before I had the tank changed.

JFP in PA 04-04-2015 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redeye280z (Post 443516)
The cap number is99610644700 it's a blue cap. I never had an issue with the cap before I had the tank changed.

That cap has be revised three times since your cap was new, always to prevent overflow issues. Current cap ends in an -04.

redeye280z 04-05-2015 03:16 AM

Thanks JFP I guess I'll try changing the cap. I didn't change it when I changed the expansion tank because I never had issues with it.

redeye280z 04-05-2015 11:35 AM

I ordered a new cap but today I went for a ride and noticed that when the pressure builds up in the expansion tank I can hear a hissing sound right near the bleeder valve and the hole for the overflow. When I used the airlift my tank was fine there were no leaks. I am confused. I doubt a bad cap would cause this leak near the bleeder valve.

JFP in PA 04-05-2015 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redeye280z (Post 443665)
I ordered a new cap but today I went for a ride and noticed that when the pressure builds up in the expansion tank I can hear a hissing sound right near the bleeder valve and the hole for the overflow. When I used the airlift my tank was fine there were no leaks. I am confused. I doubt a bad cap would cause this leak near the bleeder valve.

Either the bleeder itself or the O-rings that seal it may be bad. Did you use an OEM tanks or an aftermarket?

redeye280z 04-05-2015 02:40 PM

I used an after market tank and I has an issue with the bleeder so I changed the o rings and was able to maintain vacuum with the air lift. When the car got up to temp it would still seem to leak from the bleeder near the overflow hole. So I changed the bleeder valve and put back the one from the old tank with new o rings and still I can hold vacuum with the air lift but when the car get warm it seems to have the same problem in the same area.

JFP in PA 04-06-2015 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redeye280z (Post 443702)
I used an after market tank and I has an issue with the bleeder so I changed the o rings and was able to maintain vacuum with the air lift. When the car got up to temp it would still seem to leak from the bleeder near the overflow hole. So I changed the bleeder valve and put back the one from the old tank with new o rings and still I can hold vacuum with the air lift but when the car get warm it seems to have the same problem in the same area.

Now you know why we don't use aftermarket tanks; the factory units are problem enough.......

redeye280z 04-06-2015 06:06 AM

I am going to try to return the tank. Where do you suggest I get a new one from. Keep in mind I'm in Canada so shipping is sometimes an issue.

JFP in PA 04-06-2015 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redeye280z (Post 443758)
I am going to try to return the tank. Where do you suggest I get a new one from. Keep in mind I'm in Canada so shipping is sometimes an issue.

We source them from a dealer here in the US, try asking around and find out where your neighbors are getting factory parts from.

redeye280z 04-07-2015 03:15 PM

I can't believe I wil have to change the expansion tank again because of a defect. I guess on a brighter note they are going to send me a replacement tank. Does anyone know of a way to test them before installing it?

clickman 04-07-2015 03:45 PM

In Canada too. I wanted an OEM tank cuz the job's such a bear. I compared buying in the US with shipping, brokerage etc etc and decided, reluctantly, that in this specific instance that I'd buy from the local dealer.

Hummer-addict 05-27-2015 11:03 AM

Wondering If Changing The Aftermarket Tank To OEM Solved Your Problem...I Have An Aftermarket tank And Updated Cap ending In 04 That Is Blue And Once The Car Is Warmed Up I Start Pushing Coolant Out The Overflow Tube...Water Pump And Thermostat New (OEM) And All Air Removed...Just Bought OEM Tank And Hoping It Fixes The Issue...Wondering If It Fixed It For You...:confused:

Praying Not A HEAD GASKET...Car Runs Too Good...:mad:

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1432753368.jpg

EJ_2001_986_S 05-27-2015 12:16 PM

I had a very similar issue recently. I ordered the aftermarket tank from the folks out in the desert back in October and installed it in November. I kept seeing fluctuation in the engine temps and then noticed condensation on the rear trunk lid. I ordered a new 04 cap from the dealer in Florida and that still didn't fix it. Still had condensation and dropping levels.

So I saw this thread and started looking near the drain hole in the tank and saw some fluid collecting there. Took a picture and emailed that back to the folks out in the desert. They issued an RMA and then the dealer in Florida had a better price on the OEM tank so I ordered from them. The folks in the desert did mention to me that they don't carry the aftermarket tank anymore, so I'm guessing there just happened to be a bunch of us who bought the last stock of it and we're all now finding out that the tanks aren't any good.

The non-black portion of the aftermarket tank was made of different plastic than the OEM one. It was much harder to see the coolant level in the aftermarket one and it also didn't have a company name molded into it anywhere. So I'm guessing they just went cheap on materials and cut their quality control to push a few onto the market.

Thankfully, the OEM tank seems to have fixed things. The level is steady and no more condensation. The temp gauge is back to splitting the 8 in 180 most of the time. I only saw it move up to between the 8 & 0 when I was climbing a decent grade and pushing the car some in the mountains on Monday.

Best of luck with the tank swap. The 2nd time went much faster for me.

Hummer-addict 05-27-2015 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ_2001_986_S (Post 451450)
I had a very similar issue recently. I ordered the aftermarket tank from the folks out in the desert back in October and installed it in November. I kept seeing fluctuation in the engine temps and then noticed condensation on the rear trunk lid. I ordered a new 04 cap from the dealer in Florida and that still didn't fix it. Still had condensation and dropping levels.

So I saw this thread and started looking near the drain hole in the tank and saw some fluid collecting there. Took a picture and emailed that back to the folks out in the desert. They issued an RMA and then the dealer in Florida had a better price on the OEM tank so I ordered from them. The folks in the desert did mention to me that they don't carry the aftermarket tank anymore, so I'm guessing there just happened to be a bunch of us who bought the last stock of it and we're all now finding out that the tanks aren't any good.

The non-black portion of the aftermarket tank was made of different plastic than the OEM one. It was much harder to see the coolant level in the aftermarket one and it also didn't have a company name molded into it anywhere. So I'm guessing they just went cheap on materials and cut their quality control to push a few onto the market.

Thankfully, the OEM tank seems to have fixed things. The level is steady and no more condensation. The temp gauge is back to splitting the 8 in 180 most of the time. I only saw it move up to between the 8 & 0 when I was climbing a decent grade and pushing the car some in the mountains on Monday.

Best of luck with the tank swap. The 2nd time went much faster for me.

Thank you for the reply!:cheers: I decided to just pay to have it done this time as unfortunatly it's at my mechanic as I snapped axle bolts doing a burnout over the weekend...just had the ims,clutch,flywheel,slave cyl,water pump and thermostat done there a week ago and for some dumb reason felt it could do a burnout...Never Again...this car is hurting my wallet!:mad: Thanks again for the reply...I'll post results once I get the car back to hopefully help someone else having the same issue...

redeye280z 05-31-2015 06:34 AM

Hummer did you solve the problem with your coolant tank? Where did you buy the tank and how much did it cost you?

Hummer-addict 06-11-2015 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redeye280z (Post 451955)
Hummer did you solve the problem with your coolant tank? Where did you buy the tank and how much did it cost you?

It Sure Did!:dance: Im Soo Happy!!!:cheers:

Hummer-addict 06-11-2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redeye280z (Post 451955)

Got A OEM Tank Through World Pack. I Am A Service Manager of A dealer And Got It Wholesales For $165...Don't Thisn They Sell The Public. It Was OEM Porsche Part Cam In Porsche Box with Porsche Part Numbers... BUY OEM And Solve Your Issues!:cheers: