986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Curious about HP loss through the drivetrain. (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/56594-curious-about-hp-loss-through-drivetrain.html)

KRAM36 05-08-2015 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edc (Post 448763)
I think you'd have to contact one of the dyno manufacturers like Dynojet, Dyno Dynamics or Maha. There will be an algorithm/formula in the software which will allow user input of a restricted amount of input parameters.

Think I would rather do it the way it's stated in the Pelican article.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 448421)
The dynos that show flywheel HP gathered at the rear wheels have always been a joke to me. The drivetrain losses are calculated through a wizard thats no where near accurate for the drivetrain of a Porsche. On top of that, the ones I've seen before allow the user to put what ever figure they want in for a drivetrain loss and the software moves the curve. Its a real good way to cheat.

Numbers gathered at the rear wheels should always be just that. They should not be converted to some wild guess drivetrain loss correction.

If you want flywheel HP numbers, gain those from an engine dyno.

The quickest way to slow a car down is to use a dyno to gather the wrong data, for the wrong reasons.

KRAM36 05-08-2015 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 448760)
Sometimes I wonder about the total fixation on maximum HP output. At our local auto cross, the perpetually dominant Boxster is a 2.7L bone stock (other than an IMS Solution) 986 with a five speed. He regularly hammers highly modified cars with seeming ease. It ain't always about horsepower............

That's probably due to him having his chassis dialed in perfectly.

j.fro 05-08-2015 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 448760)
Sometimes I wonder about the total fixation on maximum HP output. At our local auto cross, the perpetually dominant Boxster is a 2.7L bone stock (other than an IMS Solution) 986 with a five speed. He regularly hammers highly modified cars with seeming ease. It ain't always about horsepower............

Amen to that! I'm currently hunting down a couple of Z06 Vettes.

KRAM36 05-08-2015 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.fro (Post 448784)
Amen to that! I'm currently hunting down a couple of Z06 Vettes.

I like the sound of that, but you're not stock in engine or body weight department. Do you have the ROW M030 suspension?

EDIT: Just looked at your garage. You have K-sport adjustable coilovers listed. Is that what you're still running?

j.fro 05-08-2015 04:39 PM

Yup, 7 years on and I'm still on the KSports. Waaay over sprung with all of the weight loss now.