Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #1

Garage
Rear Spoiler/Aerodynamic Wing

I really like the look of these rear spoilers/aerodynamic wings on the Boxsters and have been mulling over buying one for years. Some time ago I asked the question regarding performance vs the OEM Boxster spoiler to the PCA tech guru and his response was that Porsche developed the Boxster "Air Dam" type spoiler to help control the car at higher speeds and anything else would potentially not perform as well.
So my question is has anyone installed one of these and how is the fitment and performance? If you can please include pics as I'm considering pulling the trigger on a matte or glossy black one for my Arctic silver Boxster. Or maybe I should just go with the matching color.

Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #2

Well this won't spoil (as in spoiler) lift over the car nearly as well (or at all) as the air dam.....from a straight aero principle point of view. Is this loss of spoiling enough to distrupt handling given the addition of some slight down force from the wing config...not sure you have to test it to know. I believe t here is a boxster edition with this type wing profile.....but it also has a slight air dam underneath. To me they look just a little too light to give enough down force to atone for the loss of spoiling. The Cayman R size seems to be where you need to be...been tossed around at high speed in one and it stuck unless u hit a curb

When the stock tume stone goes up I feel confident that it will kill lift and might even reduce drag in certain regimes