Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2006, 06:26 AM   #1

18inch or 19inch wheels on a Boxster S 987? What about tuning it?

I am going to buy a Boxster S 987 and I am in conflict in myself whether I should leave the standard 18inch wheels or fit the Carrera S rad - which is extrtemely beautiful for me-. I am not sure whether the 19inch wheels will slow the car down. Has anybody driven a boxster S with both 18inch wheels and 19inch wheels? Is there any difference?

I am planning to tune a bit too, speedart has a completed package which bossts the performmance another 35hp. Has anybody fitted something different? the cost for this is 3780euro + ecu reprogramming - I don know the particular cost-.

If somebody knows better can you please enlighten me which companies tune the boxster s 987? In the internet I have found very few companies that have done anything similar - they only manufacture exhausts- and only ruf goes hard on tuning it but they fit the 3.8l engine and they ask 40000euro for it!

I look forward to anybody's reply, Thanks in advance

Last edited by M-porsche; 03-20-2006 at 06:31 AM.
M-porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:00 AM   #2
bmussatti

M-porsche. I don't think 19 inch wheels will "slow the car down" as you say, vs. the 18 inch wheels. There may be handling differences and ride comfort considerations to evaluate. How are your roads in your area?

I selected my 987S wheels purely on aesthetics. Maybe someday, I'll be a good enough driver that an 18 or 19 inch wheel can truly make a significance difference in my driving performance.

This was my choice- The 19" Carrera Classics:
Old 03-20-2006, 07:28 AM   #3

I have 19" Carrera S on my 987 - cosmetically it looks fantastic - handling is awesome, ride is good, noise is minimal. The car still goes fast, baby!!!!
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:33 AM   #4

People say that the 19" wheels will be a rougher ride, and I think at least one reviewer recommended PASM with them. Porsche's factory driver (Rohrl or whatever his name is) also says he prefers the 18" wheels for handling reasons.

But I'd go with the 19's. Get the Carrera Sports!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:10 PM   #5

I live in Greece and the roads are not so good...but I do love the 19' wheels Carrera S rad looks'.I have driven a boxster s 987 manual with 18inch wheels and a boxster s 987 tiptronic with 19inch wheels and the tiptronic car was much slower then the manual one. That is why I was wondering whether the wheels had their effect on this too.

What about tuning it? Has anybody in this forum done anything similar? My aim is to get it to reliable 320ps. I ve never found though any company offering such a package except speedart who says they boost it with 35hp extra hp with only intake, exhaust and ecu. Has anybody tried that? In the previous boxster s (986)what was the maximum reliable horsepower that somebody could have?
Old 03-20-2006, 11:16 PM   #6

if you look at the 0-60 ratings for the manual gearbox vs the tiptronic it can be almost up to 1 or more seconds different - thus the feeling of being slower in the tiptronic is more related to the transmission and not necessarily the tires.
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:45 AM   #7

I am buying a take off set of brand new CaymanS 18" wheels/tires (for track wheels) so I'll be able to compare them back to back with my CarreraS 19" wheels within the next few weeks. I'll post my impressions.
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:59 AM   #8

You are right about the 0-60 times. The manual one gave me the impression it had 30hp more.

Carl AMG you will answer our question once and for all.

Does anybody have the article from the excellence magazine about the sportec porsche boxster 987 with the 3.8litre motor on? What were the reporters' impression about it?
Old 03-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #9
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl AMG
I am buying a take off set of brand new CaymanS 18" wheels/tires (for track wheels) so I'll be able to compare them back to back with my CarreraS 19" wheels within the next few weeks. I'll post my impressions.
CarlAMG...great move! I think the 18" CaymanS wheel looks very nice.
Please post some pictures when you have'em on your Boxster.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:20 PM   #10

I have the 19’s and think they look better on this car than just about any wheel on any car around. The handling with PSM off is incredible and very predictable. Having said that and driven a new S with the 18’s I will say that on bumpy uneven roads the ride does suffer significantly. You will feel every minor difference in the road and if that bothers you I would think twice.

I would get the 19’s again in a second but my other car is a pickup (I do live in Dallas) so ride comfort is not big priority for me.
rbhlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:52 PM   #11

I'm also looking for wheels and need to make a decision between 18 inch and 19 inch wheels...

Any other information regarding the ride comfort or personal experiences would be appreciated. Has anyone installed 19 inch wheels here and regretted it? I also hear that 19 inch tires cost much more and have less options for that size for available manufacturers. Any information please?! Thanks.
D.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #12

I test drove several 987's with the 18's and when I test drove one with 19's, the one I ended up buying, I didn't really notice any difference. The 19's ride is not harsh. From what I've seen, the 19" tires do cost a lot more, but I absolutely LOVE the look of the 19" Carrera Classic wheels. They really fill up the bigger wheel wells of the 987's. Where are you located? Maybe someone is near you who has 19's and you could go for a ride to see how they feel.

Last edited by smith12895; 04-03-2006 at 05:22 PM.
smith12895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #13
KronixSpeed

do 987 forums exist!!!! 987 = 20z

i'm curious to know if 987 forum's exist! my 986 has 19inch rimz, no difference between my 17z and 19z....car really drives the same. if anything i like the feel of the 19z...solid. not a rough drive or slower car......

now if we are talking about 987...i would slam the car on 20z.

done
Old 04-11-2006, 09:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronixSpeed
i'm curious to know if 987 forum's exist!

I accidently typed in www.987forum.com (insted of 986forum) and it sent me to...

986forum.com

smith12895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:50 AM   #15
KronixSpeed

yes you are right

i tried the same the other day, and i was directed to the 986 forum.

cooo