986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Airbag Indicator light will not turn off? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/5610-airbag-indicator-light-will-not-turn-off.html)

briansboxster 04-05-2006 08:28 AM

Airbag Indicator light will not turn off?

I have had my 98 boxster in storage over the winter and have driven it a couple of times when it was not snowing. The airbag indicator dash lite stays on and some one told me that the battery charge could have dropped causing this and has to be reset, does anyone know how to do this without having to take it to the dealer?

Thanks Brian

MNBoxster 04-05-2006 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briansboxster
I have had my 98 boxster in storage over the winter and have driven it a couple of times when it was not snowing. The airbag indicator dash lite stays on and some one told me that the battery charge could have dropped causing this and has to be reset, does anyone know how to do this without having to take it to the dealer?

Thanks Brian

Hi,

Disconnect the Battery and charge it, then reinstall it. Your light should go away unless it's a real fault in the SRS System. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

denverpete 04-05-2006 10:20 AM

Make sure you have your Radio Code!!!!

RandallNeighbour 04-05-2006 12:06 PM

Jim, you've suggested this before and it did not work for me.

The only way to get my airbag light off is to use a PST tool. Some CE lights can be cleared by disconnecting the battery for a while, but not my airbag light.

Brian, a common reason for airbag lights is the seatbelt receptacles go bad. Replacing both isn't expensive and might be a good move right about now for you, having a 98... both mine went out in my '97 this year.

dapper_boxster 01-28-2007 03:47 PM

Well, I would imagine you should be able to reset an ecu like many other cars. But Could someone describe how to do this for the Boxster by chance?

thanks

Rodger 01-28-2007 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Jim, you've suggested this before and it did not work for me.

The only way to get my airbag light off is to use a PST tool. Some CE lights can be cleared by disconnecting the battery for a while, but not my airbag light.

Brian, a common reason for airbag lights is the seatbelt receptacles go bad. Replacing both isn't expensive and might be a good move right about now for you, having a 98... both mine went out in my '97 this year.

A Durametric may also reset your light. There's a thread in this forum of Durametric/PST2 owners and their locations. Although few have signed up, you might get lucky.

Couper1 02-02-2007 12:50 PM

airbag light

My airbag light was on as well. I was told it was because the seatbelt receptical sensor was dirty. I was told to spray some contact cleaner in there then blow it out with a canned air or a compressor.

This made sense to me because when I unlatched my seatbelt the warning light didn't come on right away.. sometimes it would take a few seconds...sometimes a few minutes. So I cleaned it out and it corrected the problem. Now when I unlatch the seatbelt the indicator comes on immeadeatly. I took it to the mechanic to have the airbag light reset and it's been fine ever since.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

RandallNeighbour 02-02-2007 12:56 PM

That's really good information, and new to me. I replaced both of mine when they threw an airbag light and didn't think of doing this. Super news for the future, and it makes all kinds of sense too.

rdancd816 02-02-2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couper1
My airbag light was on as well. I was told it was because the seatbelt receptical sensor was dirty. I was told to spray some contact cleaner in there then blow it out with a canned air or a compressor.

This made sense to me because when I unlatched my seatbelt the warning light didn't come on right away.. sometimes it would take a few seconds...sometimes a few minutes. So I cleaned it out and it corrected the problem. Now when I unlatch the seatbelt the indicator comes on immeadeatly. I took it to the mechanic to have the airbag light reset and it's been fine ever since.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

What did you use as "contact cleaner"? My light has been on for months!

Couper1 02-03-2007 11:55 AM

Yes, I used a non-conductive contact cleaner. You can use this on all electrical components without shorting anything out. Let me ask you this, when you unlatch your seatbelt does your seatbelt indictor light and tone come on at all?? If it doesn't then maybe you do have a bad sensor and cleaning it won't help. As I said, in my case I knew the sensor was just dirty because the light and sound would come on and go off at different time whenever my seatbelt was unhooked.

Also, I was fortunate enough to have a local mechanic with the computer/tool to reset the airbag light, I didn't have to take it back to the dealer and pay their hourly rate. Most repair shops don't have the tools to reset Porsche lights.

Your third option would be a small piece of electrical tape over the airbag light. Lol, just kidding.

Let me know how you make out with it. Good luck :cheers: :cheers:

rdancd816 02-04-2007 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couper1
Yes, I used a non-conductive contact cleaner. You can use this on all electrical components without shorting anything out. Let me ask you this, when you unlatch your seatbelt does your seatbelt indictor light and tone come on at all?? If it doesn't then maybe you do have a bad sensor and cleaning it won't help. As I said, in my case I knew the sensor was just dirty because the light and sound would come on and go off at different time whenever my seatbelt was unhooked.

Also, I was fortunate enough to have a local mechanic with the computer/tool to reset the airbag light, I didn't have to take it back to the dealer and pay their hourly rate. Most repair shops don't have the tools to reset Porsche lights.

Your third option would be a small piece of electrical tape over the airbag light. Lol, just kidding.

Let me know how you make out with it. Good luck :cheers: :cheers:

Seatbelt light and tone work correctly. The dealership has reset the airbag light a couple of times (no charge) but it just returns. They did say it's not a safety issue, just annoying. I'll give your method a shot, can't hurt. Will let you know the result. Thanks

dcporsche99 02-04-2007 10:04 AM

"My airbag light was on as well. I was told it was because the seatbelt receptical sensor was dirty. I was told to spray some contact cleaner in there then blow it out with a canned air or a compressor.

Hope this helps. Good luck."

Hi Couper1,

Good info here! Will certainly have to try this...just wondering, are the sensors in the receptacle where the seatbelt clicks into or are these sensors found beneath the seats? ....do you have to remove the seats to do this or can you leave the seats bolted on?

Thanks in advance. :cheers:

Couper1 02-06-2007 01:03 PM

[QUOTE=dcporsche99]"My airbag light was on as well. I was told it was because the seatbelt receptical sensor was dirty. I was told to spray some contact cleaner in there then blow it out with a canned air or a compressor.

Hope this helps. Good luck."

Hi Couper1,

Good info here! Will certainly have to try this...just wondering, are the sensors in the receptacle where the seatbelt clicks into or are these sensors found beneath the seats? ....do you have to remove the seats to do this or can you leave the seats bolted on?

The sensors are in the seatbelt receptacles. There is no need to remove the seat. I wrapped a clean towel around it and sprayed it with contact cleaner then blew it out with canned air. I did it a couple of times to make sure it was clean. I hope this works for you!

rdancd816 02-19-2007 08:17 AM

Sprayed the Contact Cleaner and compressed air into my receptacles last week. Dealership reset the Airbag light for free. It's been a week now and no Airbag light! Great info! Thanks!

Couper1 02-19-2007 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdancd816
Sprayed the Contact Cleaner and compressed air into my receptacles last week. Dealership reset the Airbag light for free. It's been a week now and no Airbag light! Great info! Thanks!

excellent!!

ehD 03-14-2007 05:32 PM

so i found out this is why my airbag light is on. do i just put on that lil red straw and spray away into the buckle the non conducive contact spray? and than use the compressed air to blow it dry? (the contact cleaner seems to dry itself)

rdancd816 03-15-2007 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehD
so i found out this is why my airbag light is on. do i just put on that lil red straw and spray away into the buckle the non conducive contact spray? and than use the compressed air to blow it dry? (the contact cleaner seems to dry itself)

That is how I did it. Just sprayed the cleaner into the buckle with the small straw. I did it a couple times. Then I followed up with the air. One trip to the dealer to reset the airbag light and all has been well ever since. No airbag light! Good luck!

ehD 03-15-2007 02:22 PM

its been off for over 24 hours now hurray

pteam 07-03-2007 06:01 PM

Ok so I got the dreaded airbag light when installing the heated seats cause I didn't think disconnecting the battery would be necessary. DOH!

Does disconnecting the battery reset the airbag light?

I havnt seen anybody near northeast ohio that has the durametric tool and I'm not gonna buy the tool for $250 just to reset a light, the Porsche dealer would probably do it for free for me.

Can you easily pull the lightbulb for that light out of the dash? We've done this on a few of our limos for traction control lights etc.

Tool Pants 07-04-2007 01:22 AM

A registry has been started for people with the Durametric and PST2, but so far no one in your area. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13779

Disconnecting the battery will turn off a check engine light. It will not turn off an air bag light.

Porsche dealers don't do nothing for free....