Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #1

Garage
Borked Horn -

Hiya -

I'm having similar issues to Herr Oberst In this thread

I went out to check out the fuses but need to wait until it's warmer and brighter. I'm leaning towards my particular issue being a horn switch because the horn beeps when I lock the car, but doesn't work any other time.

Just making sure that the alarm/chirp from locking the car uses the same horn device as the steering wheel switch.

Are my options limited to replacing the switch, or has anyone had success repairing it?

Thanks for the direction

CaseOfAle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #2

Garage
So there are different horns for the alarm and the steering wheel? When I lock the vehicle, I get a "chirp" - is that coming from a different device than the steering wheel activated horn?
Old 03-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #3

Yes, different horns for car horn and alarm. If your alarm horn toots when you lock the car, it means something isn't locking. It's in your owner's manual. On my car it means the center armrest cover doesn't lock, which is fine with me because I like the alarm horn to let me know that the car has locked.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Yes, different horns for car horn and alarm. If your alarm horn toots when you lock the car, it means something isn't locking. It's in your owner's manual. On my car it means the center armrest cover doesn't lock, which is fine with me because I like the alarm horn to let me know that the car has locked.

Wow. thanks for that info - I never would have suspected that the chirp meant anything. I don't lock the console, so I'll check that out...

I also read to listen for a relay when pushing the steering wheel, to see if it's the horns or the switch.