Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2015, 12:57 AM   #1

Tiptronic acts 'quirky' in auto mode.....

I've driven my Tiptronic Boxster nearly 5500 miles in the past 9 weeks with no issues to speak of, except occasional irratic behavior in auto mode. The tranny always works perfectly in manual mode.

In auto:
-shifting from 2nd to 3rd, it seems to shift twice, about 3 seconds apart, almost like there's a hidden 2.5 gear.
-occasionally sticks in 4th gear and won't come out unless you switch to manual and shift it with the buttons. Then it's fine again. (only happens after tranny has downshifted from 5th, like slowing for a ramp or passing someone)
-often refuses to kick down out of 5th gear, eg. when you try to pass someone. (unless you keep squeezing the pedal down almost to the floor, in which case it will suddenly drop to 3rd, which is way more jarring than I want).
-sometimes (rarely), it will let go entirely (go to neutral?) for just a half second while shifting from 4th to 5th, then shift hard into 5th.

Either way, car seems to be weird about 4th gear.

Again, it always responds quickly and smoothly to every input when shifting with the buttons in manual mode.
Could it be the tranny ECU? Speed sensor?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 02-16-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
I've driven my Tiptronic Boxster nearly 5500 miles in the past 9 weeks with no issues to speak of, except occasional irratic behavior in auto mode. The tranny always works perfectly in manual mode.

In auto:
-shifting from 2nd to 3rd, it seems to shift twice, about 3 seconds apart, almost like there's a hidden 2.5 gear.
-occasionally sticks in 4th gear and won't come out unless you switch to manual and shift it with the buttons. Then it's fine again. (only happens after tranny has downshifted from 5th, like slowing for a ramp or passing someone)
-often refuses to kick down out of 5th gear, eg. when you try to pass someone. (unless you keep squeezing the pedal down almost to the floor, in which case it will suddenly drop to 3rd, which is way more jarring than I want).
-sometimes (rarely), it will let go entirely (go to neutral?) for just a half second while shifting from 4th to 5th, then shift hard into 5th.

Either way, car seems to be weird about 4th gear.

Again, it always responds quickly and smoothly to every input when shifting with the buttons in manual mode.
Could it be the tranny ECU? Speed sensor?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Two questions: When was the last trans service? Have you scanned the car with a Porsche specific scan tool?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:21 AM   #3

Transmission had a fluid service in mid-December.
I know it had a Durametric scan, but I don't know if that covers any transmission codes.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
I know it had a Durametric scan, but I don't know if that covers any transmission codes.
Did it just start what it's doing or has it done it since the trans service? Did someone you know do the job? The trans has to refilled properly at a specific temperature or it doesn't get the correct amount of fluid.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #5

Watch the Wheeler Dealers Porsche Boxster episode on YouTube. Very similar issues and they fixed it with an oil change to the Porsche fluid.
newBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
Need For Speed

Garage
Durametric can read trouble codes for a Tiptronic trans.

Not sure what the issue is, maybe what Luv2Box posted.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

Quote:
It should. If it continues to act up, get it scanned again.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #8

Thanks guys, it's going in for an oil change and checkup this wed.
It is always scanned at oil service intervals, and I'll have them check the fluid again.

PS: I had it serviced almost immediately after purchase, so not sure how it was behaving before.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 02-16-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #9

Garage
I think you need to keep a count of all these repairs. I want to know when the beater has proven to be the more expensive box. Best of luck with getting things fixed.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:01 PM   #10

Thanks, I'm sure it will all be worked out.

With the number of miles I'm racking up, I have no doubt it will surpass my weekend baby in expenditures. In the first 5,500 miles the only extra expense has been the alternator. Not too bad really. The initial expense of bringing the preventative maintenance up to date has so far paid off.