986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Change instrument cluster units from KM to Miles (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/55872-change-instrument-cluster-units-km-miles.html)

eliot92 02-15-2015 01:13 PM

Change instrument cluster units from KM to Miles

I recently had to have a new instrument cluster/speedo fitted in my 2000 986 Boxster (at great expense at the Porsche Dealer!) and it seems they've fitted a German speedo rather than an English one as the analogue speedo is in KPH rather than MPH as are all the other units bar the Car's mileage and the digital speedo which have been set to MPH. I can put up with the analogue speedo being in the wrong units as I never use it, but its frustrating loosing the option to have my MPG and miles til empty as they are both in KM. I tried holding the clock switch to the left for 5 seconds to switch the units, but this only changes the Car's mileage and the digital speedo units, not any of the other units for MPG, miles till empty, average speed etc. So before I ring up Porsche to see if they can sort it, just wondering if there's another way to switch these units? Thanks for any advice.

JFP in PA 02-15-2015 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliot92 (Post 436392)
I recently had to have a new instrument cluster/speedo fitted in my 2000 986 Boxster (at great expense at the Porsche Dealer!) and it seems they've fitted a German speedo rather than an English one as the analogue speedo is in KPH rather than MPH as are all the other units bar the Car's mileage and the digital speedo which have been set to MPH. I can put up with the analogue speedo being in the wrong units as I never use it, but its frustrating loosing the option to have my MPG and miles til empty as they are both in KM. I tried holding the clock switch to the left for 5 seconds to switch the units, but this only changes the Car's mileage and the digital speedo units, not any of the other units for MPG, miles till empty, average speed etc. So before I ring up Porsche to see if they can sort it, just wondering if there's another way to switch these units? Thanks for any advice.

Gauge clusters are country specific; if you look in the Porsche parts catalog, you will find an entire list of part numbers by country. You will not be able to reprogram this cluster to do what you want.

NewArt 02-15-2015 02:29 PM

Ha, if you were closer, we could swap heads! I'm in Canada with a U.S. car and I have the opposite problem. Fortunately Canada used imperial units when I was a kid so I still know what 25 MPG means! :) As you mentioned, it is not possible to change these other readouts.