986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Fuel Filter Replacement (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/5585-fuel-filter-replacement.html)

BadBoyS 04-02-2006 03:28 PM

Fuel Filter Replacement

Took the Belly pan off and found the fuel filter. Have to get the new filter tomarro. Any words of wisdom on the change out. Getting the old one out looks like its going to be pretty tight. Thanks in advance you any advice................... :dance:

MNBoxster 04-02-2006 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadBoyS
Took the Belly pan off and found the fuel filter. Have to get the new filter tomarro. Any words of wisdom on the change out. Getting the old one out looks like its going to be pretty tight. Thanks in advance you any advice................... :dance:

Hi,

Be sure to loosen your Fuel Filler Cap and disconnect the Battery before removing the Ground wire on the Filter (make sure you have your radio code before you do). Also, have plenty of Rags and a catch bucket for the Fuel which will leak from the Filter and hoses. Other than this, it's pretty straightforward. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

BadBoyS 04-03-2006 10:30 AM

Awesome And Thanks MN.... will be attempting tonight

:cheers:

7:55pm Crap no one has the filter in stock Almost gave the old guy at NAPA a heart attack when he saw the price to order. I did find it finally at a close by dealer will get and try again tomm.....................

deliriousga 04-03-2006 05:23 PM

Don't forget the goggles. :eek:

RandallNeighbour 04-03-2006 07:11 PM

I wonder if my 1997 boxster with a new engine has ever had the fuel filter changed... should I do it anyway just to be on the safe side?

MNBoxster 04-03-2006 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I wonder if my 1997 boxster with a new engine has ever had the fuel filter changed... should I do it anyway just to be on the safe side?

Hi,

Couldn't Hoyt...;)

BadBoyS 04-04-2006 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Couldn't Hoyt...;)

Randall

I would bet they didn't change it just based on were it is out of site out of mind...

Just got the new filter from the stealer $48.00. I know they were online but not that much cheaper and then add shipping and it was with in a few bucks. Plus I was impatient to wait :D

Thanks for the goggle reminder I can see this is going to be alittle messy. Will be pouring the 2.919 gallon gas I collect back in :o LOL

:cheers:

PS while at dealer asked how much for fuel filter change 125.00 plus Filter and shop fees. :barf:

deliriousga 04-04-2006 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

Do it some time when you already have it in the air. It's a small job to lift it and remove the covers, etc.

BadBoyS 04-04-2006 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deliriousga
Do it some time when you already have it in the air. It's a small job to lift it and remove the covers, etc.

Started at 7:00 done by 8:00 NICE. Very easy except for the dam ground connection. 10 min farting around with that. Minimal gas just what was in the filter and tipped it the right way into the pan. :)
Thanks all again....

stucatz 04-04-2006 05:45 PM

OK what am I missing? Disconnect the battery before changing a ground wire? If the wire is truly a ground wire what is the big danger?

MNBoxster 04-04-2006 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stucatz
OK what am I missing? Disconnect the battery before changing a ground wire? If the wire is truly a ground wire what is the big danger?

Hi,

The Ground wire is just that - an electrical path to earth.

You need to disconnect the ground wire from the fuel filter and fit it to the new one to swap it.

It there's something shorting to ground, you could get a spark when you disconnect it - Fuel + Ignition Source, generally not a good thing. Disconnect the Battery and No Worries. Hope this helps...

stucatz 04-05-2006 06:48 AM

I see what you are saying and I know a spark would be ill advised. I think a careful swap to the new filter would be fine, especially if you change the wire before disassembly of any fuel carrying hoses. I'm going to risk it fellas, I'll report back..

MNBoxster 04-05-2006 09:50 AM

Quote:

I see what you are saying and I know a spark would be ill advised. I think a careful swap to the new filter would be fine, especially if you change the wire before disassembly of any fuel carrying hoses. I'm going to risk it fellas, I'll report back..

Hi,

I'm sure you'll be OK. But, my training in a Former Life (NAVAL Air), always leads me to err on the side of caution, especially when the solution is so easy as disconnecting the battery. This is especially true when I'm passing on advice to others. Good Luck!...

BadBoyS 04-05-2006 02:14 PM

Quote:

I'm sure you'll be ok too but better safe than sorry. Also its pretty tight to get around the fuel line that runs into the filter which has the ground wire above it. As it was I had a heck of a time getting it off had to pry off with a screwdriver hope yours won't be as stuck. Fuel line had to come off. Must have been the quick time but didn't need to put the code in the radio. So just the 2 sec to pop the battery cable on/off.. Good Luck and Wear your Googles...... :D