Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2006, 06:06 AM   #1

Question Light Weight Flywheel

What advantages/disadvantages could I expect from this upgrade coupled with a Sachs sports clutch. Evolution Motorsports sells them on their site but its very expensive!!! Is it worth the $$$?

BoxsterRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #2

How much are they??? I would like to do this mod.

My 986S has 51000 miles on the OE clutch.

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 03:52 PM   #3

Whatever you do , don't mate the stock clutch disc to a lightweight flywheel. The stock disc lacks dampening springs and causes clutch chatter and less drivabilty with a single lightweight wheel.. It relies on the natural dampening charcateristics of the dual mass flywheel to make the car drivable. Make sure the Sachs sport system contains those springs if you mate it to a lightweight wheel.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #4

One other odd thing a lightweight flywheel does is allows the car to rev quicker but also allows it to decelerate the RPM out of load faster.What happens is sort of annoying depending on your driving habbits. It never bothered me but did other people..

My talon has a Competition Clutch and ACT lightweight flywheel 12lbs vs. 20lbs stock. So thats 8 less lbs from the flywheel. I also eliminated the balance shafts (imbalance shafts also as they are known) and run hollow Comp Cams 101200 highlift cam shafts in the car.. The balance shafts were 6lbs and the cams shaved 2 lbs. So over all that was 16lbs of rotating mass off the engine.

When I drove the car coming towards a stop sign, naturally I always leave the car in gear and just let it rpm down towards the stop sign then push the clutch in when the RPM is near 1000rpm even if it's in say 3rd gear and im going slow. I'll just wait until the rpm is low then dis engage the clutch. What most people do is see the stop sign way ahead and push the clutch in right away and also break.

What happens if you push the clutch in from say 4000rpm and it falls is the light weight flywheel allows the RPM to fall faster than the ECU is ready for and the car will stall before the ecu will compensate and hold the rpm steady .

When a buddy was driving my talon he kept stalling the car coming upto lights and stop signs because he insisted on pushing the clutch in at 3000-4000rpm really early while breaking instead of just breaking and leaving the clutch engaged. It caused the car to keep stalling because the RPM decelerate so fast because of the light weight.

This is possible and quite likely on the boxster as well depending on how much weight is saved from the light weight flywheel. From a performance standpoint it's totally worth it espically on a NA car (turbo the effects are less) but if you can't handle a trade off like that then think again. Maybe somebody with a lightweight flywheel on their boxster can chime in and let us know if this is an issue or not.

I know on the Talon/Eclipse, Supra, and most honda's they have this problem, it's not car specific but light weight flywheel specific.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Whatever you do , don't mate the stock clutch disc to a lightweight flywheel. The stock disc lacks dampening springs and causes clutch chatter and less drivabilty with a single lightweight wheel.. It relies on the natural dampening charcateristics of the dual mass flywheel to make the car drivable. Make sure the Sachs sport system contains those springs if you mate it to a lightweight wheel.
Not quite sure what you are talking about. My 2000S has a LWF with the stock clutch disc and it works perfectly.

CW
Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
-M. Delaney (Steve McQueen, "Le Mans")
Cold Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior
Not quite sure what you are talking about. My 2000S has a LWF with the stock clutch disc and it works perfectly.

CW
Too much stress on the drive. It will work fine and feel fine, but the dampening springs that are built in the original dual-mass flywheel keep the drive and gears from being over-torqued and stressed. If you put a lighweight flywheel in, you need a matching clutch disc that has the dampening springs built in it or eventually you could snap the drive shaft and/or tear up a gear or two.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
Too much stress on the drive. It will work fine and feel fine, but the dampening springs that are built in the original dual-mass flywheel keep the drive and gears from being over-torqued and stressed. If you put a lighweight flywheel in, you need a matching clutch disc that has the dampening springs built in it or eventually you could snap the drive shaft and/or tear up a gear or two.
Isn't this a problem only if you dump the clutch?

CW
Old 04-17-2006, 06:12 AM   #8

Question

Is anyone using a lwfw in their Boxster ?
BoxsterRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterRS
Is anyone using a lwfw in their Boxster ?
See my post above.

CW
Old 04-17-2006, 12:26 PM   #10

hmm.... So the light weight flywheel for the stock clutch is not dual mass? If the stock clutch is sold hub, thats gonna be a lot of chatter.

Last edited by 986Jim; 04-17-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
hmm.... So the light weight flywheel for the stock clutch is not dual mass? If the stock clutch is sold hub, thats gonna be a lot of chatter.
I don't have any chatter.

CW
Old 04-18-2006, 04:02 AM   #12

Do youhave a pic of the flywheel then? Because the stock clutch disc is not sprung which is abnormal for regular cars. I would like to see how the setup looks flywheel pressure plate and disc.

Normally the flywheel is flat or so, the clutch disc has springs, and the pressure plate has the sprung diaphram in the center. With a solid hub disc on a normal car, they are harsh as hell, but thats putton one on a car that had a sprung hub previously.