986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   CDR 22 Ipod Adapter from China!!! (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/55706-cdr-22-ipod-adapter-china.html)

Troutman 02-04-2015 10:54 PM

CDR 22 Ipod Adapter from China!!!

I have just ordered this from China on ebay

CD Changer Aux Audio Cable For iPod iPhone For Porsche BECKER CD Player | eBay

At £7.69 I couldn't refuse. The iP-BKR2 iPod Adapter is about £40 and you can bet it's made in China too like just about everything is.
I think I'll take the CD changer out for good if it works.
I'll let you know how I get on with it.
Taking the Boxster for a trip around Scandinavia in the Summer so getting the music situation sorted out.

rdass623 02-05-2015 07:24 PM

had one for my 00 base model. it worked fine, but mine had the 3.5mm plug and used the ear bud output. I ended replacing the whole stereo with a blaupunkt unit to control the ipod from the head unit a few months later.

Troutman 02-05-2015 10:39 PM

I like the look of the original Becker unit..suits the car so well..so 90's

rdass623 02-06-2015 11:53 AM

the reason i went with the blaupunkt is the wiring harness is basically just plug and play... almost like it was made for a german car

Troutman 02-07-2015 12:50 AM

Which Blaupunkt model was it?

rdass623 02-07-2015 07:19 AM

i chose the san francisco model. it has the controls for the ipod in the head and the wiring harness plugs are identical to the becker unit. it made installation really easy without butchering the harness

Troutman 02-13-2015 10:01 AM

Ok..So the new cable at £7 works perfectly well with my wife's iPhone playing music, unfortunately it doesn't charge at the same time.
You have to activate the AUX input for it to play. One thing to know is that the Blue Green and Yellow plugs need to be removed as one by pushing the tabs in together and pulling the plug bodies not the cables, they are really thin.
Then you have to separate the three plugs by holding in the little tab on each.
Slide the two new ones (Blue and Green) together and slide them onto the old yellow and push all 3 back in together.Easy
I routed the cable out the back of the stereo compartment and down to the left (rhd car)into the passenger area where it comes out along the side of the tunnel.
I found you have to make sure the old plugs still attached to the loom are wedged in behind the stereo as well as the iPhone lead and the main loom are all pushed back out the way to enable refitting the stereo.
Only problem I have is getting the removal tools out of the stereo, they are jammed in tight!

rdass623 02-13-2015 03:34 PM

to remove the installation tools..... pull the radio from it's mounting position. when it is out, compress the locking tabs on the side of the radio. that should release the forks from the radio. it should slide and lock into position without the release tools

Troutman 02-17-2015 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdass623 (Post 436129)
to remove the installation tools..... pull the radio from it's mounting position. when it is out, compress the locking tabs on the side of the radio. that should release the forks from the radio. it should slide and lock into position without the release tools

That's right ..I worked it out in the end.

So just to re-cap this adapter works really well , is very easy to install, you can leave your CD changer where it is, the only down side is it doesn't charge!! (an iPhone) i'm going to try an old ipod Classic and see if that charges.

Update..tried that and it still doesn't charge..bummer

rdass623 02-19-2015 09:24 PM

the removal forks can be removed by either compressing the locking tabs on the sides of the head unit or pulling them out slightly, it just depends on which way you inserted them into the release holes. this can be accomplished only when the unit is out of the dash mount. once removed (the tool), just slide the head unit back into place. sometimes you may need to wiggle it a little to get it to lock back into place.

Giller 02-20-2015 03:23 AM

It's worth spending a few dollars more for the other adapter if you take any long trips as it DOES charge.

Troutman 03-10-2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giller (Post 437032)
It's worth spending a few dollars more for the other adapter if you take any long trips as it DOES charge.

I got in touch with the suppliers ("wefindtech" ...ebay), they were surprised and got in touch with the manufacturers who said it should charge!
Well mine doesn't , they gave me a partial refund!
I am going to leave it in as we can charge the ipod on the 12V socket when we are not wanting music or the various hotels.
Next job is to remove the CD changer, I've never used it anyway.

Hogosha 03-28-2015 11:53 AM

OK, this may be a silly question, but......can you use this adapter, AND also hook up rear speakers?

Hogosha 04-10-2015 10:10 AM

Just got my adapter in the mail! I hope to put it in next week.

Hogosha 04-18-2015 02:38 PM

OK, I just installed my cable, and it works great! Although I seem to have the same problem of not charging. I bought the keys, popped out the radio, followed Troutmans excellent instructions, turned on the AUX, and Viola'! An older Ipod Touch will be relegated to Boxster use. You cant beat the price, and YES! I would recommend to a friend!