Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #1

Garage
Pulling the motor! Need advise

Ok, so since it is winter and I am not going to get much use from my car for the next 8 weeks or so.. I am going to pull the motor to do some maintenance!

What I plan on doing..

Water pump OEM
low temp thermostat
power steering pump ( I had a leak and left it whining)
AOS
IMS
alternator
belt
plugs, coil packs, tubes with new gaskets
Acc pulleys
clean throttle body
Exhaust
front motor mount

What else should I do while it is out of the car? The clutch and flywheel were done less than 100 miles ago. Vanos was done less than 1000 miles ago. What else should I plan on doing? I just want it to be reliable and dependable. Thanks for the input!

Redboxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #2

Garage
Just realized that my phone autocorrected advice to advise. I promise I'm not stupid lol
Old 01-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Check if your vacuum tubing is brittle, or just replace it. It's probably a good time to replace your coolant tank if it hasn't been done before. Oil filler and dipstick tube are easy to break. Not a bad idea to have a replacement ready for the re-install.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #4
Beginner

Garage
Replace the SAI components under the manifold. Wish I'd done mine as they crapped out 11 months after I rebuilt the engine. They were a real pain to install with the engine installed. Parts are a couple of hundred bucks.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #5

Garage
Yes, didn't think about the SAI. Will definitely go through and replace anything rubber. The car is 15 years old now. I also just though of the fuel filter as well. I can handle everything except the IMS, everything I've read about it just scares me too much for a DIY project. Im also thinking about having the timing gone through with new guides etc. I've heard something about replacing a chain?
Old 01-10-2015, 06:20 PM   #6
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboxs View Post
Yes, didn't think about the SAI. Will definitely go through and replace anything rubber. The car is 15 years old now. I also just though of the fuel filter as well. I can handle everything except the IMS, everything I've read about it just scares me too much for a DIY project. Im also thinking about having the timing gone through with new guides etc. I've heard something about replacing a chain?
The chains would be the two, one in each head that connect the cams. Even before you remove the engine set it to TDC. These engines are different from those you may have worked on in the past, and setting it to TDC resolves lots of maintenance disassembly issues. This must be done before removing the valve covers as the valve covers also restrain the cams. If the engine is out you really should consider the IMS bearing. If you are going to replace the cam chains in the heads the IMS bearing is not much more work and you are already locked at TDC. You'll kick yourself if you don't change that bearing when you have the chance. Replace the chain guides for sure if you are going this far. You also need to check the dual mass flywheel. All this is part of the fun and games of working on your own 986.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #7
Beginner

Garage
Just realized I'm assuming you've a 5 chain engine - what year is your box? I'm assuming 2002 or older.