986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Coolant light (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/55330-coolant-light.html)

mavis.d 01-07-2015 01:34 AM

Coolant light

The other night driving home the coolant light came on permanently. I have checked the level in the expansion tank and all is ok. I have disconnected the battery for 10 mins to see if it reset but no. The other thing to note is that often when reversing I can hear air in water at the front, a sort of sloshing. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
David

JFP in PA 01-07-2015 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis.d (Post 430957)
The other night driving home the coolant light came on permanently. I have checked the level in the expansion tank and all is ok. I have disconnected the battery for 10 mins to see if it reset but no. The other thing to note is that often when reversing I can hear air in water at the front, a sort of sloshing. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
David

Disconnecting the battery when a MIL is triggered is always a bad move; when you do that, you have lost all of the data accumulated in the DME, which would have been helpful in diagnosing your issue.

I would not be starting or running the car until a shop can look at it. Overheating one of these engines can be disastrous.

mavis.d 01-07-2015 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 430958)
Disconnecting the battery when a MIL is triggered is always a bad move; when you do that, you have lost all of the data accumulated in the DME, which would have been helpful in diagnosing your issue.

I would not be starting or running the car until a shop can look at it. Overheating one of these engines can be disastrous.

Ok but temp remains solid 80c which it always has done

clickman 01-07-2015 07:20 AM

Four functions of the coolant warning light:

1. Engine coolant level too low -- light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz)

2. Engine compartment temperature too high -- light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz) (engine compartment blower might be faulty)

3. Engine coolant temperature too high -- light is lit; pointer on the right

4. Temperature sensor at water outlet faulty -- light flashes rapidly (1 Hz) ; pointer on the right

Mark_T 01-07-2015 05:29 PM

Stuck thermostat maybe?

Or perhaps a plugged rad? When was the last time you took off the front bumper and cleaned out all the debris from between the rads and condensers?

I'd be concerned about the sloshing noise. Carpet wet in the frunk?

Steve Tinker 01-07-2015 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 431043)

I agree - I'll bet the OP hasn't cleaned out his drains lately..........

woodsman 01-08-2015 12:17 PM

Air in the heater core? Pressure test.

Please note that I am a taxi driver- NOT a mechanic.

mavis.d 01-09-2015 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clickman (Post 430985)
Four functions of the coolant warning light:

1. Engine coolant level too low -- light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz)

2. Engine compartment temperature too high -- light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz) (engine compartment blower might be faulty)

3. Engine coolant temperature too high -- light is lit; pointer on the right

4. Temperature sensor at water outlet faulty -- light flashes rapidly (1 Hz) ; pointer on the right

Light is not flashing but on constantly

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 431043)
Stuck thermostat maybe?

Or perhaps a plugged rad? When was the last time you took off the front bumper and cleaned out all the debris from between the rads and condensers?

Don't think it's debris as it's quite clean in the rads. All carpets dry

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodsman (Post 431124)
Air in the heater core? Pressure test.

Please note that I am a taxi driver- NOT a mechanic.

Worth a look, as temp control of the heater is a little erratic

Cheers
David

BFeller 01-09-2015 07:07 AM

I cant answer the question about the cooling temp light, but the water sloshing in the front might be the cowling drains. The space were the battery sits has a couple of drains and does collect water.

mavis.d 01-09-2015 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFeller (Post 431232)
I cant answer the question about the cooling temp light, but the water sloshing in the front might be the cowling drains. The space were the battery sits has a couple of drains and does collect water.

Once again no all dry, it's more of the sound of air in pipes

JFP in PA 01-09-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis.d (Post 431237)
Once again no all dry, it's more of the sound of air in pipes

Pull a vacuum on the system using the vacuum filling tool; if there is any air in it, it will come out and the level in the tank will drop. If it does go down, you need to use the vacuum tool to add more coolant 50/50 mix.