Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 02:58 AM   #1
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Tuned/modified 2000 Boxster S

I'm not a regular poster here but you guys seem to like your DIY tuning. Mine is maybe not quite so DIY as your attempts, really only the throttle body and intake were genuinely DIY, but everything else was bought by myself.

My car is a UK 2000 model S. That means no cats in the manifolds/headers, so only 2 cats in the exhaust system.

I did various bolt on bits and dyno'd each time, same place, same operator etc etc.

1) Standard
2) Ebay silencer and manifolds, K&N panel (same as Topspeed by the pictures)
3) 74mm throttle body, custom 83mm intake from MAF to TB
4) Custom remap

All the usual maintenance was done in between: oil changes, new plugs, air filter clean etc etc.

I have one more dyno run to do back on the original dyno but doing the maths it's a 25bhp peak increase at the wheels with gains starting from 3-3.5k rpm all the way through to the limiter. These are dyno proven gains so you can see the effects of each of the stages.

Top line you are looking at circa +9bhp, +6bhp and lastly +13bhp (dyno flywheel estimate as I can't remeber the at wheels figures, but the increase is broadly the same).

The rest of the pics and write ups you can read on the UK based boxa.net forum

http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=53075

Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #2

Interesting, but the link doesn't work to me
Old 08-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Thanks. You may need to register to see the forum thread. There's 8 pages of updates there with dyno plots, photos and reviews of the mods etc.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
Old 08-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
Thanks for posting. I've got similar mods on my 2000 986S, and I dynoed at 244rwhp.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Thanks for posting. I've got similar mods on my 2000 986S, and I dynoed at 244rwhp.
Did you do a base line dyno run or any runs at the different stages of mods?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #6

Garage
Great thread! Love the Zenith Blue and the BBS wheels. I need to do some of your mods. Have thought about the suspension, at 70K miles, it would probably be worthwhile.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I've got an underdrive pulley coming my way. I think that will be it for the mods although I was nearly upsold into buying a lightened flywheel ...
Old 08-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I hope this is of interest.

Here is a run down summary of the mods with what was used, costs and gains.

Stage 1:

Toyosport silencer and exhaust manifolds. I managed to buy them on eBay for £130 and £110. They are the generic stock pictures you see on most listings. Fitting was done in 2 stages and cost approximately £100 and £180.

Peak bhp gain +9bhp

Stage 2:

74mm 996 throttle body and plenum from Porschapart, £100 and £30; 12" 83 mm ID aluminium pipe and 2 x 83mm internal diameter 4 ply silicone hoses from autosiliconehoses.com, £12 and 2 x £18; 80 - 100mm jubilee clips approx 6 needed, £1 each. Replace new paper air filter with a cotton K&N panel filter. Cost to fit = DIY with forum member Patt

Peak bhp gain +6bhp

Stage 3:

Custom remap at Motorsport Developments in Blackpool. I was referred here by another forum user Mark Shead. Cost £350.

Peak bhp gain + 6bhp

You can see from the graph the gains in power and torque for each set of mods. After stage 1 it really is chasing ever diminishing returns.

It may be feasible to swap stage 1 and 2 around yet still get the same result.

If you never drive your car hard or rev it out then these mods are a bit of a waste of time. Of course the flipside is the better sounds you get from stage 1 and 2.

With each of the mods they start to take effect around 3000 - 3500 rpm and hold the increased power and torque from 4500 rpm all the way through to the red line.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #9

Do you still have your original equipment 2000 S 3.2L non-catalyst exhaust manifolds? If so, are you interested in selling them? I'm in California.

* 9x7 short shifter * Pedro's enthusiast mount * Carrera Ltw. wheels * Stebro bypass pipes
* M030 coming soon! *
Blue-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I do have them on a shelf in the garage. I am in the UK though so shipping is going to cost you a packet. PM me if you are serious.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:53 PM   #11

Thanks so very much for posting all of those details EDC and happy new year!
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:12 AM   #12
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
No probs and happy new year to you too. I've done similar mods to my 550 too