986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   can anyone vouch for softronic? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/55217-can-anyone-vouch-softronic.html)

2013grandsport 12-27-2014 08:58 AM

can anyone vouch for softronic?

They claim if you buy their kit which includes intake filter, full exhaust and tune, that you will gain 40+ hp. Applies to both 2.7 and 3.2

Not sure if thats at the crank or wheels, but regardless its not a bad gain. I noticed Evoms claims 30 but doesnt include headers like the softronic setup does. Is there any truth to these claims?

Ive sort of been brainstorming which route to go to get me closer to 300 HP without spending 10+ grand. A 40 HP bump certainly is a good way for 3300 bucks.

Ive even found a 3.2 S engine for 3700 bucks.

At their claims for 7000 dollars I could potentially have 3.4 996 power between buying their setup and a boxster S engine.

I know I should sell this and buy a boxster S, but I paid 8K for this car with 69K miles, and its insanely clean. I doubt I would be able to find a boxster S this clean, and have enough room to do what I want to it and still be at the same investment as I would with this. So I am just weighing my options.

The benefit here is that I will have a good 2.7 engine to sell to make some money back .

Porsche9 12-27-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013grandsport (Post 429687)
They claim if you buy their kit which includes intake filter, full exhaust and tune, that you will gain 40+ hp. Applies to both 2.7 and 3.2

Not sure if thats at the crank or wheels, but regardless its not a bad gain. I noticed Evoms claims 30 but doesnt include headers like the softronic setup does. Is there any truth to these claims?

Ive sort of been brainstorming which route to go to get me closer to 300 HP without spending 10+ grand. A 40 HP bump certainly is a good way for 3300 bucks.

Ive even found a 3.2 S engine for 3700 bucks.

At their claims for 7000 dollars I could potentially have 3.4 996 power between buying their setup and a boxster S engine.

I know I should sell this and buy a boxster S, but I paid 8K for this car with 69K miles, and its insanely clean. I doubt I would be able to find a boxster S this clean, and have enough room to do what I want to it and still be at the same investment as I would with this. So I am just weighing my options.

The benefit here is that I will have a good 2.7 engine to sell to make some money back .

30 to 40 hp with those mods is not going to happen. Porsche does not leave that much on the table. Tops figure 20 hp. If you want big gains in power it would have to be a engine upgrade. At that point it's much more economical to sell yours and buy the car with the power you want plus you get all the other upgrades that match the power the car has. I would not want a base Boxster with a 3.4l engine in it without better brakes, gearbox, suspension, etc.

Sell the car and take the $8k and add $10k to it and get yourself a 99 Carrera or a 03-04 Boxster S. Or just enjoy what you have. The 2.7l is a sweet motor.

2013grandsport 12-27-2014 09:39 AM

I could probably sell the car for a profit. I found a 99 911 on ebay for 15K OBO.

Anyway, how can they make claims of 40+ HP and not back them up? Isnt that false advertisement?

mikefocke 12-27-2014 10:46 AM

Most of the time, mods get you more HP at a certain point on the curve but at the expense of HP or erratic behavior on the rest of the REVs versus HP curve. Torque is what gets you off the line and that is generally achieved by displacement. Plus it doesn't kill the driveability of the car.

woodsman 12-27-2014 12:08 PM

I think it's time to test drive an S and a 911. There is so much numbers on paper can't tell you. The M96 engine is a delicate beast that's difficult to boost. Try a 3.6 911...

Gelbster 12-27-2014 12:18 PM

If you can find Jake Raby's comments on ECU flash ,it may help you. He suggests some of the ECU mods inadvertently augment risk of engine failure.He (politely)did not cite specific brands.