986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Air pump not working (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/55009-air-pump-not-working.html)

Jinx 12-04-2014 06:54 AM

Air pump not working

Had the PO491-492 codes checked out this morning. Indepent stated he did not hear the air pump not working on start up. Any suggestions on where to go next? What controls the air pump?

Gelbster 12-05-2014 08:09 AM

This is a very simple issue ,so I am alarmed the Indie did not do more than say it wasn't working.Need a new mechanic?
Here is some background that is simple for you to do.It is just a motor with a fuse ,relay.
Secondary Air System Pump - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums
If the fuse has blown,find out why -otherwise it will keep doing it.

san rensho 12-05-2014 11:46 AM

How about applying 12 volts directly to the motor to see if it works.

Jinx 12-06-2014 01:45 PM

Yes he is a new guy for us. Recomended by a friend of
Our who drives a 6 series BMW, as the mechanic who we
Normally use got seriously injured in a very bad accident
In his shop. Got hit in the face when removing a front
Coil spring. Anyway the new guys website states he
Works on all foreign cars. Specializing in emission
Systems. After about a hour he calls me out. His
Computer connected to the port under the dash.
Engine cover still on. Tells me he could not hear
The air pump run and that it must be the pump
Because both banks had the same error. Anyway
He states he will need about our hours to check
Out each item separately. Wanted to keep the porsche
Until all needed parts comes in. Made a appointment
But will cancel it next week.

A separate question if I may, the reason he wants to
Keep the car is because he stated he didn't want to
Keep putting the engine covers on and off again.
I don't know a lot about cars and probably should
Not own a porsche but wanted something fun to
Drive. Is there a reason the boxster cannot be
Used with the engine covers off.

Thanks,
Jinx

pjq 12-07-2014 05:33 AM

I've run my car with all covers off (after a rebuild), just don't plan on talking to the person in the passenger seat and make sure you wear ear muffs if your going for a long drive. :) Its very loud but you do get to hear your engine!
Oh yeah, don't reach for anything behind the seats, the rotating belts and pulleys are right there!

Jinx 12-07-2014 06:23 AM

PJG, thanks for the response. :)

Jinx 12-07-2014 06:56 AM

A very sincere thank you for all the responses. Car going into the shop after the holidays... TO A PORSCHE SHOP. I'll :)post the outcome.
Love you guys. Jinx :) :cheers:http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1417967760.jpg

Jinx 01-10-2015 04:09 PM

I wanted to post a follow-up on this. Went to a indepent shop that works on Porsches.
What they found was a vac line that had come off the electric change over valve. So
Far so good. Very cold here in Pittsburgh ran the car yesterday and today for about
Thirty miles various speeds. No check engine light. So I am considering this problem fixed.

Guess what!! they suggested I have the serpentine belt changed. Pa state inspection
Due in February. My selling dealer ( a Porsche dealer) gave me a work order showing that The 60,000 service being done. But no sepertine belt listed on the work order.

My indepent shop told my the price for the belt was $60.00. Seems high to me.
Pulican lists on for $24.00. I HATE repair shops and dealerships.

I need to find a good, honest repair shop in Pittsburgh that will install my parts.

kk2002s 01-11-2015 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 431384)

My indepent shop told my the price for the belt was $60.00. Seems high to me.
Pulican lists on for $24.00. I HATE repair shops and dealerships.

I need to find a good, honest repair shop in Pittsburgh that will install my parts.

If your frustrated with mechanics, this is one of the simplest DIY jobs. You do need a 24mm socket for the tension-er.

KRAM36 02-15-2015 04:36 PM

Curious how this worked out for you? Was it the vac line to the electric change over valve the fix? Do you hear the pump at start up?

My pump isn't coming on, but I know it works as I used my Durametric to test it.