Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 06:06 AM   #1

Question Any useable codes from a regular OBD2 reader?

Greetings,
I plan on getting a Durametric, but not until at least next year. That being said, can I get any usable codes for my 99' Boxster using a regular OBD2 reader?

Old 11-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #2

Garage
Yes.

I use a regular OBDII all the time on my Boxster. It only spits out the code - then I go here http://www.iwantaporsche.net/BoxsterCheckEngineLightCodes.htm

Do a search here - lots of OBDII use.
2012 Triumph Thruxton
2014 Enfield Continental GT
GoodManners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:27 AM   #3

Thanks GoodManners! That helps a lot!
Old 11-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #4

Is the Durametric maybe 3 time more capable? Yes.

Is a "regular" OBD2 code reader helpful? Lots of times for many engine and emissions related codes.

The Durametric site generally has a list of all the airbag, transmission, settings, etc that it will do that a OBD2 won't. Lots of Porsche specific things the OBD2 standard doesn't require a manufacturer to reveal but which Durametric has figured out over the years. Great tool.

If you are going to do serious work on a Porsche, Durametric is highly recommended.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Is the Durametric maybe 3 time more capable? Yes.

Is a "regular" OBD2 code reader helpful? Lots of times for many engine and emissions related codes.

The Durametric site generally has a list of all the airbag, transmission, settings, etc that it will do that a OBD2 won't. Lots of Porsche specific things the OBD2 standard doesn't require a manufacturer to reveal but which Durametric has figured out over the years. Great tool.

If you are going to do serious work on a Porsche, Durametric is highly recommended.
Oh, no doubt that the Durametric is the way to go! I just wanted to see what my standard OBDII reader was going to pull up, since my CEL was on. I was fully expecting a long list of codes, but I was lucky and only one came up, P0430 (Catalytic Converter Conversion Too Low- Cylinders 4-6). Which through a search here is probably due to a faulty O2 sensor.

This forum is awesome! TONS of great info with people willing to share, maybe I'll get a Durametric for Christmas!
Old 11-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
The Acton pocket reader is my preferred diagnostic tool. Only the info I can use and nothing beyond my backyard wrench status that will cause me to overthink a problem and change a bunch of unnecessary parts. It is always in my car.

That said, I think it is unlikely that a bad O2 sensor is causing your code. You can pull it and do a visual inspection but P0430 usually means a weak/failing/sooted cat. If the sensor is failing you will usually get an "aging sensor" code instead.

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2014, 05:06 AM   #7

Obd ii

I bought a RioRand from Amazon and downloaded the Torque Pro app on my tablet.It works on Bluetooth.It works fine and it will clear codes.I bought it before I had the IMS changed. I wanted to know right away what the code was if it flashed. Mike is right though. The Durametric is the one to buy if you plan on doing a lot of DIY.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #8

Yes, basic scanners like elm327 will do.
guesswecan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #9

Basic readers do have their place. I love the convenience of the blue tooth ELM 327 when I need to reset random and intermittent 1128 and 1130 codes which I think is a phantom vacuum leak I have been unable to trace. It is easier to pull out the phone and reset them without booting up the Durametric.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:42 AM   #10

So here is a question on the Durametric itself.....When you clear a code with a Durametric, as opposed to a generic OBD2 reader, will the car pass inspection? Or will the garage still be able to see the error even though the CELis off? Here in NY, a CEL is an automatic failure.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogosha View Post
So here is a question on the Durametric itself.....When you clear a code with a Durametric, as opposed to a generic OBD2 reader, will the car pass inspection? Or will the garage still be able to see the error even though the CELis off? Here in NY, a CEL is an automatic failure.
As with any car, just clearing a code does not clear the car for state inspection. All OBD II equipped cars (basically anything built after 1996) have an "I/M Readiness" function built into them, which requires that the car run several full duty cycles before the car's computer resets to "ready" status to pass inspection. So just clearing a code will never get you through inspection; the reason for the fault needs to be repaired, then the car has to be run, sometimes for as much as 100 miles, before this Federally mandated trap clears in the computer. This was done to prevent clearing a code just prior to inspection in order to pass. If you tried to do this, the inspection would generate "not ready" and the car will not pass.

This is not a Durametric fault, all scanners, even the mighty PIWIS behave this way.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
As with any car, just clearing a code does not clear the car for state inspection. All OBD II equipped cars (basically anything built after 1996) have an "I/M Readiness" function built into them, which requires that the car run several full duty cycles before the car's computer resets to "ready" status to pass inspection. So just clearing a code will never get you through inspection; the reason for the fault needs to be repaired, then the car has to be run, sometimes for as much as 100 miles, before this Federally mandated trap clears in the computer. This was done to prevent clearing a code just prior to inspection in order to pass. If you tried to do this, the inspection would generate "not ready" and the car will not pass.

This is not a Durametric fault, all scanners, even the mighty PIWIS behave this way.
Thanks JFP. That's what i figured. The car is buttoned up for the winter, and I will address the issue in the spring seems to be either one of the cats or O2 sensors.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogosha View Post
Thanks JFP. That's what i figured. The car is buttoned up for the winter, and I will address the issue in the spring seems to be either one of the cats or O2 sensors.
What codes are you getting?