986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Beater Boxster ODB2 readout.. Ugh!! (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/54469-beater-boxster-odb2-readout-ugh.html)

Cebu 10-16-2014 07:53 PM

Beater Boxster ODB2 readout.. Ugh!!

I found a Durametric cable on Craigslist and snagged it up. After fumbling around getting their software to work with my Macbook Air I was able to perform a diagnostics.

I have a bunch of failures fitting for my Beater Boxster. I now see why my alarm always "double beeps" when turning it off. (check out the readout below)

My first plan of attack are the errors P1137 and P0430. I believe the P0430 is the reason my CEL comes once in awhile.

Durametric Readout:
"Porsche fault code 45 - Cat conversion bank 2 exceeds limit value"

Bentley Service Manual:
“TWC conversion cylinders 4-6” [Short to ground / below lower limit / lean mixture threshold]

I’ve searched around the internet trying to decipher what this means and there seems to be a variety of fixes such as a bad 02 sensor, air filter, MAF or catalytic converter. I’d like approach this with your experience in troubleshooting. I have the durametric cable/software, multimeter, oscilloscope and tools, just need some guidance.

Thank you in advance!

Here’s Beater Boxster Printout:

Work Log
Short Test
Bosch Digital Motor Electronics Motronic 7.2

Current Fault Codes

P1137:
Porsche fault code 446 - Clutch switch Signal implausible

P0430:
Porsche fault code 45 - Cat conversion bank 2 exceeds limit value

ABS/PSM 5.7
No Faults Found
Instrument Cluster K21
No Faults Found
Airbag B05

Automatic Air Conditioning H01
No Faults Found
Alarm I32

Current Fault Codes

47:
Control locking synchronization
Occurance Counter: 32

60:
Central locking limit position Lock not reached
Occurance Counter: 3
This fault is displayed for informational purposes, it is not an indication of a
problem and no repair is needed.

61:
Central locking limit position Unlock not reached
Occurance Counter: 57
Litronic headlights HBA

Park Assist

Seat Memory

NewArt 10-17-2014 07:04 AM

Clear the codes and see what comes back after a day or so.
When the car is warmed up, using the Durametric, go to actual values and click on O2 sensor voltage before and after cat 2. I f you get a more ore less flat line and a wavy line, the cat is good. If both lines are wavy, the cat may be bad. I picked up a used cat from European Parts Depot on eBay for $120. It came with two O2 sensors. The problem is now gone and as a bonus, it also cleared up the SAI code I was getting! I don't know why this is but I'm not complaining!
:)

Cebu 10-17-2014 09:51 PM

I'm going to try this tomorrow morning. I did a reset prior and the CEL went away. It came back on I'm guessing after 150 miles of driving. Same error. Thank you for your feedback it's much appreciated!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 421999)
Clear the codes and see what comes back after a day or so.
When the car is warmed up, using the Durametric, go to actual values and click on O2 sensor voltage before and after cat 2. I f you get a more ore less flat line and a wavy line, the cat is good. If both lines are wavy, the cat may be bad. I picked up a used cat from European Parts Depot on eBay for $120. It came with two O2 sensors. The problem is now gone and as a bonus, it also cleared up the SAI code I was getting! I don't know why this is but I'm not complaining!
:)

justin-in-athens 10-24-2014 11:45 AM

I have a set of spare cats with 02 sensors off my '99 2.5l

If you need them PM me.

Justin

Cebu 10-24-2014 06:42 PM

Good evening Justin, I PM'd you..

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin-in-athens (Post 422779)
I have a set of spare cats with 02 sensors off my '99 2.5l

If you need them PM me.

Justin