Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #1

Garage
My Tiptronic shifts kind of funky!

I've got a 2000 2.7 with a tip. When I got it, at 67000 miles, it ran and shifted fine. About 3 months ago, I had the IMS bearing replaced. (preventative). While the transmission was out, The shop did a tranny service. (Not sure exactly what they did, since they had to drain the transmission to remove it). Since then, when it shifts from 2 - 3, there seems to be a little extra shift. If that makes sense. It pulls fine at takeoff, then just before the up shift, it almost feels like it kicks down, then pulls strong and up shifts as it should. It doesn't feel like a slip. It's weird. Also, I'm not sure if it's related, but the shift indicator lights seem to be out of sync. showing an up shift before it actually happens.

Could the shop have used the incorrect fluid? They swear no, but after catching them in a few "falsehoods". I don't trust them. Would the incorrect fluid cause this to happen?

Or am I just being paranoid!

daboxsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboxsta View Post
I've got a 2000 2.7 with a tip. When I got it, at 67000 miles, it ran and shifted fine. About 3 months ago, I had the IMS bearing replaced. (preventative). While the transmission was out, The shop did a tranny service. (Not sure exactly what they did, since they had to drain the transmission to remove it). Since then, when it shifts from 2 - 3, there seems to be a little extra shift. If that makes sense. It pulls fine at takeoff, then just before the up shift, it almost feels like it kicks down, then pulls strong and up shifts as it should. It doesn't feel like a slip. It's weird. Also, I'm not sure if it's related, but the shift indicator lights seem to be out of sync. showing an up shift before it actually happens.

Could the shop have used the incorrect fluid? They swear no, but after catching them in a few "falsehoods". I don't trust them. Would the incorrect fluid cause this to happen?

Or am I just being paranoid!
Yes, the wrong fluid can cause the Tip to shift differently, but the fluid would not explain lights. I would have a good Porsche shop re service the trans and look it over.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #3

This actually sounds normal to me. I've had my tip for almost 3 years and have the same "little shift' moment before the 2-3 shift on light throttle.

This thread discusses it: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/2485-tiptronic-tranny-hesitation.html

"Hey guys I stopped by the dealer today and talked to the service director and he said that what I am feeling is the vario-cam. He said this issue comes up all the time. He said the reason I only feel the change in 2nd gear is because the torque load on the engine is totally different than 3rd,4th,etc. He also said that for some reason it is more noticeable in tips than in manuals. He said the cam is moving to a much higher lift to gain extra HP. I have had two dealers tell me the same thing."

I'm pretty sure my gear light indicator lights up the next gear as it's being selected then you feel the car shift after. I've noticed it on my car a couple times. I was confused one day when I looked at the shift light and it said 4th gear while I was in 3rd but it shifted into 4th right after I looked.

I'm guessing you just didn't notice it before they worked on the car and paid more attention to how it drove after the service.
BrandonJames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #4

Garage
The lights seem in line to what my 2.5 tip did, also if I am understanding your description of the shifts well enough I would say that sounds normal as well.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:23 AM   #5

Mine too. No big keep the foot in it and then it`s all good.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #6

Garage
That link was a huge help!!!! I guess I just need to drive it the way it was designed to be driven! I'm checking that on off my list..... Now if only I could figure out the annoying chirping since I had the accessory drive belt replaced!

daboxsta is offline   Reply With Quote