Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #1

m030 suspension install. Possible in 1 night?

I have an autocross on Saturday and Sunday this weekend and have no time this week. I'm going to attempt to install the full M030 suspension kit after Saturdays event. So I have about 6 hours. How much time has it taken you guys? I understand that this is impacted hugely by experience. Some data points would be nice. I might spot for just the front and the sway bars. Any advice?

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
You're gonna need an alignment...
Old 09-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #3

How long did it take you to do the front. Maybe I can do it tomorrow night
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #4

It's an autocross you're not running for money so skip the sprint install and do it right ! Are you planning to have zero issues ? You replacing everything that can wear ? And as already mentioned what about the alignment ? Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #5

It took me about 20 hours total, careful work, with all new strut hardware. You could probably do the fronts (with no learning curve) in 3-4 hours. As J. fro stated, you're going to need an alignment regardless of how much you mark the eccentrics!
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #6

Garage
Your not going to do it in 6 hours. In stock class Autocross I highly doubt it will make enough difference to rush into it the night before the event. You are more likely to have to car still in parts and needing something that is to warn to reuse on the install. Then you end up missing the event.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #7

Garage
And everyone talking about alignment that should be np if you have the correct tools at home. I always did mine DIY and then would get nervous and pay a shop to do it. Every time they would show me the print out take my money and say we didn't have to touch a thing it was perfect in the middle of all specs. So after doing that a number of times I said no more just DIY. Look up doing alignment at home there are a number of ways to do it. You will put far more effort in to make it right on the spot compared with a tire shop.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
Rennzenn

Garage
My experience doing string alignments is very different. When I had shops do the alignment on my 986, there were always issues. The steering wheel wouldn't be centered, tire wear wasn't even, the car still pulled, etc. I was fortunate enough to have a real expert show me the SmartStrings process, and I've been able to get both my Boxster and 996 dead on. You have to be meticulous and patient, so I make sure I've got at least 3 hours to get the job done, but holy cow does it work.

Hey Truegearhead, can't do anything before this weekend, but if you want to wait, I'll help with the suspension swap, including the alignment.