986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Just Waxed (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/5378-just-waxed.html)

KRZTACO 03-13-2006 10:11 AM

Just Waxed

Hi Guys and gals,

Well, I just waxed my Box S and the wife's BMW X3 here are my conclusions:

Boxster:

Step #1: washed

Step #2: (Blue) CLAY BAR...smoothed out the paint...nothing new.

Step #3: Meguairs Show Car Glaze #7

Step #4: Meguiares Hi Tech Yellow Wax (carnuba based) #26

DEEP shine, and very slick finish. VERY satisfied with the results, I love my Porter Cable machine 7424

BLACK BMW X3:

Step #1: Clay Bar

Step #2: Meguairs Polymer Sealant #20 (Cleaner/Glaze/Wax in one). It's long lasting, plus it's a great 1-step process (didn't want to take too much time on this one)

Had to bust out some additional Medallion Paint cleaner on some spots with a Cutting pad...worked out good.

Reminds me how hard black is to care for properly...but in the end the X3 looked brand new.

What is the conclusion for my efforts? If you don't have a Porter Cable 7424, your missing out.

KRZ

blinkwatt 03-13-2006 10:15 AM

Pics Taco pics.

Porschekid 03-13-2006 10:32 AM

I need a porter cable to save me time... where should I get one? Ebay? What kinda pads will I need? Easy to use or will I screw something up if I don't know how to use it?

KRZTACO 03-13-2006 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Pics Taco pics.

I am retarded. No before pics....it rained all weekend. I can take some after pics soon, but there is no benchmark.

BTW the best time to wax a Black car is in the Garage when its raining.

KRZ

KRZTACO 03-13-2006 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porschekid
I need a porter cable to save me time... where should I get one? Ebay? What kinda pads will I need? Easy to use or will I screw something up if I don't know how to use it?

Very easy to use, just need to incorporate the right polishing/finishing pads with the correct polish/wax etc. It would be best to say, the Porter Cable allowed more time to be deticated towards a better, deeper, more shine.

KRZ

RandallNeighbour 03-13-2006 12:29 PM

Ebay was actually not very good price-wise on PC's. I got mine from an online tool shop, which I found on froogle.

Do a google search on the model number and Porter Cable and then click on froogle and see what pops up. Mine was $125 with a second counter balance weight for the larger pads and free shipping. Retails for over $200 if I'm not mistaken.

bmussatti 03-13-2006 01:32 PM

You can get this one for $149 from www.autopia.org:

"Machine polish your car, truck or SUV like a pro with the Porter Cable 7424 dual action, auto polisher!

Using the Porter Cable 7424 Polisher is like speeding your hand polishing to 1,000 times normal speed!

Free bottle of car polish with every machine!

To all intents and purposes, the Porter Cable 7424 Car Polisher is the industry standard car polisher. No other dual-action polisher even comes close in power, effectiveness or ease of use.

The Porter Cable 7424 comes equipped with a single polishing pad which is permanently attached to a backing plate. The single white pad works well with a bonnet for removing polish and wax film, but is not up to the task of serious polishing. For best polishing and waxing results, select our flexible Velcro backing plate and advanced polishing pads.

The Porter Cable 7424 car polisher features a random orbit (dual-action) polishing action for a swirl-free finish. While powerful, the 7424 will not scratch or burn even the most delicate clear coat paint finish. The 3.7 amp motor delivers plenty of torque, and the electronic variable speed control allows you to vary operating speed from 2,500 to 6,000 oscillations per minutes (OPM). For comfort, the hand grip can be attached to either side.

Porter Cable engineered the 7424 polisher to safely apply polish and wax in a manner similar to hand application. In a matter minutes, it creates a mirror-like finish and shine that would not be possible by hand. Unlike a conventional rotary buffer, the pad on the Porter Cable 7424 does not rotate, it oscillates. The "dual-action" (around + back and forth) motion occurs at such a high rate that the eye can not see the orbiting pad movement."

RandallNeighbour 03-13-2006 01:43 PM

I got that beat easily. $119!!

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/welcome.pl?ref=froogle+page=/a/port/7424_car_buffer.htm

This is where I bought mine.

KRZTACO 03-13-2006 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I got that beat easily. $119!!

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/welcome.pl?ref=froogle+page=/a/port/7424_car_buffer.htm

This is where I bought mine.

I bought mine from there too......love it.

KRZ

xavier405 03-13-2006 03:38 PM

How would you guys clean up a deep paint scratch? 2 inches long and 1/32 in wide. But its down to the white primer.

Thanks
- Xavier

Perfectlap 03-13-2006 04:16 PM

there's no fixing a scratch that gets to the base layer. Time to take it to the paint shop.

I've been using Finish Kare FX100 and #425 which from what Ive noticed so far, seems to work with every detailing product on the planet. And the prices are great for the quantity you get. I've been detailing a looong time this stuff is a god send for time efficiency. With autocross/track season coming up I'll be using it plenty. Nothing more I hate then spending two hours to clean the car and then doing it all over again Sunday night after an event.

http://986forum.com/forums/finishkareusa.com

TriGem2k 03-16-2006 03:11 PM

Just Ordered my Porter Cable.....Now heres the question....What products to use with it???? How many coats???

KRZTACO 03-16-2006 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Just Ordered my Porter Cable.....Now heres the question....What products to use with it???? How many coats???

Oh no.....here we go.(I say that because everyone has their own opinion for waxing)

Very basic instructions:

Step #1: Wash

Step #2: Clay bar or use a Paint Cleaner (I used a clay bar then Meguiars Medallion Paint Cleaner with a Meguiars "Polishing" yellow pad..really work the polish in with this step I put the setting at 3 then up to 4 on the PC)

Step #3: Apply your glaze ( I applied Meguairs Show Car Glaze #7 with a "Finishing" Pad)

Step #4: Apply your Carnuba Wax (I used Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow Carnuba wax #21 with a Meguiars "yellow" Polishing Pad.

Step#5: Applied some Final Inspection

Real simple steps:

1) Cleaner 2) Glaze 3) Wax

KRZ

KRZTACO 03-16-2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xavier405
How would you guys clean up a deep paint scratch? 2 inches long and 1/32 in wide. But its down to the white primer.

Thanks
- Xavier

Well.....I'd bust out a Meguiars "Cutting" pad.

1) Clay bar first

2) Load the pad with some Meguiars Medallion Paint cleaner and apply working the buffer on setting 1-2 max (Cutting Pad).

3) Apply some Show car Glaze (finishing pad)

4) Apply some Hi Tech yellow wax and work that in (Polishing pad set the PC to 4)

If that doesn't work.....then it's time for the touch up paint and wet-sand process.

KRZ

RandallNeighbour 03-16-2006 04:09 PM

Products for buffing, cleaning and waxing? You opened a can of worms...

I use Menzerna and Klasse All in One. Others use Zaino products. I bet there's at least a half dozen additional and very excellent products out there people swear by and to which they are fiercely loyal.

My opinion? The PC is as much a factor as anything. So you're 90% there in my experience. My old, beat up paint job was simply transformed with its use. Even my wife could clearly see the difference... and she could care less about the level of shine and lack of swirl marks on a car. (Yes, I still love her more than the air I breathe despite this obvious character flaw).

Perfectlap 03-17-2006 09:46 AM

TriGem, you can use your PC to clay the car too. Autogeek.net sell a pad with a hole that you stuff the clay into and use a low speed setting. Sonus makes the green clay that will be a little less potent for more frequent use so you don't strip off your sealant.

here' my new formula for lowest effort shine using the pc

1. Optimum No-Rinse (add it to your car wash soap, rinse water or for claying)
2. Clay using the PC
3. Klasse All In One (the undisputed king of polishes) use a foam pad, like blue.
3. Poor Boys EX with Carnauba. From what I hear this the only sealant that gives depth. Not just a glassy finishy like Klasse SG and so many other synthetics. Must be the Carnauba additive.
Put away the PC.

4. Finish Kare FX 100 Sealant
5. Finish Kare 425 (the my new required last stage)

If you are a real show off you can add step 3.(A)
S100 Carnauba Wax. Yes the FX100 will actually seal Carnauba!

by the way this is gaining popularity when used with the Optimum No Rinse (and get a sea songe!)
http://autogeek.net/fofowagunhag.html
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/foama.jpg

TriGem2k 03-17-2006 10:31 AM

I'm soo confused....

1. Wash/Dry
2. Clay
3. Polish
4. Wax

Is that the right order of things?

KRZTACO 03-17-2006 10:58 AM

[QUOTE=Perfectlap]
3. Klasse All In One (the undisputed king of polishes) use a foam pad, like blue.
5. Finish Kare 425 (the my new required last stage)
[QUOTE]

Those are classic statements, especially your #5...hahahaha

:cheers:

KRZTACO 03-17-2006 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriGem2k
I'm soo confused....

1. Wash/Dry
2. Clay
3. Polish
4. Wax

Is that the right order of things?

1) Wash/Dry
2) Clay Bar
3) Paint Cleaner Wax
4) Glaze
5) Carnuba Wax
6) Any quick detailing product (FK1 #425, meguiars, etc.)

KRZ

TriGem2k 03-17-2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRZTACO
1) Wash/Dry
2) Clay Bar
3) Paint Cleaner Wax
4) Glaze
5) Carnuba Wax
6) Any quick detailing product (FK1 #425, meguiars, etc.)

KRZ

Ok I think im getting it...

What is Paint Cleaner Wax? and isnt Glaze basically Polish?

I use the PC for the Paint Cleaner Wax, Glaze and Carnuba Wax??