Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
550 Anniversary Spyder

Garage
Exhaust tips 2004 550 Spyder

I have a 2004 Boxster S Spyder 550 edition, and am not particularly enamored with the "special" factory exhaust diffuser.

What options do I have for traditional -- and hopefully killer looking -- round tips? Is there enough of a lip on the PSE to attach tips? To my eye (as a non-welder) there doesn't seem to be much to work with in there when peering through the factory diffuser.....but I'm no metal worker.

I'm in Boston MA and open to shop recommendations on this, or certainly product recommendations if these can be sourced from a reputable vendor online.

velorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:26 AM   #2
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I also have a 550. The tailpipe is bolted in underneath and fits just like all the other facelift 986 tips. So, you can interchange with any other 986 tailpipe. You may find the original fixing rounded or corroded so will probably need a new nut and bolt.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
550 Anniversary Spyder

Garage
I could do that -- sure. Was hoping for a dual round tip unit (wary of rolling the dice on eBay) but could be settled with a new condition oval factory tip.

Visually it makes more sense to me than the 550 tip, but I understand taste is subjective.

Are you happy with the aural change of the Carnewal and cats? Some more snarl would be welcomed on mine.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
In the UK at least the S came with a dual round tip, I recently sold one.

You can see some more on my car here where there is a brief static video clip of the exhaust sound. You might need to register http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=59044 The sound has deepened a bit since then but I haven't taken another sound clip yet. Bear in mind mine is a UK car so only has one pair of cats to start with too. I'm quite happy with the sound. Its not quite as loud as my old eBay headers and exhaust, same as TopSpeed.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
Old 08-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
550 Anniversary Spyder

Garage
You had one??? YOU HAD THE DUAL ROUND TIPS?????? Oh man...the timing! Now I feel like that was the last one on earth.

Edit: I just spoke with Pelican Parts and this was a US issued part. I can get a new one for the low low price of (basically) one million dollars.

I shall hunt for an excellent condition used unit :-)
Old 08-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by velorider View Post
You had one??? YOU HAD THE DUAL ROUND TIPS?????? Oh man...the timing! Now I feel like that was the last one on earth.

Edit: I just spoke with Pelican Parts and this was a US issued part. I can get a new one for the low low price of (basically) one million dollars.

I shall hunt for an excellent condition used unit :-)
VR - sent you a PM for the 550 tips. Might help offset the $1 million...

Rick
Old 08-20-2014, 02:14 AM   #7
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Did I tell you yet that I sold if for the equivalent of US$25 delivered ?

Look on UK ebay and they come up on there but are normally 2 to 3 times the price I sold at.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
inveniam viam aut faciam

I recently bought a used PSE for my '03 which came with a dual pipe tip pipe. I may be willing to trade for the single tip if you are interested.

Steve
Old 08-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
550 Anniversary Spyder

Garage
Only out of respect for a potential future owner, I would prefer to keep the 550 tip with the car. I understand MY preference is not to use this tip, but as a unique piece I can respect that another owner may feel otherwise.

That being said, I am interested in a purchase if you want to let it go.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #10
inveniam viam aut faciam

My problem is that I want to sell my original muffler, but I will need a tip to go with it, otherwise it is pretty much worthless.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
550 Anniversary Spyder

Garage
I see your point. But the tip almost never fails...the muffler is the part that will "wear out" and have people looking to replace.

Lots of tips are out there, I'm just a picky nerd who wants one exact type of tip. The ovals are practically hanging from trees in my area!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
inveniam viam aut faciam

Well, there are more than one type of dual round tip as well. The original tips on my '03 S are matte finish (like the Boxster S emblems) with a part number of 996.111.254.00, whereas the tips that came with the PSE are polished with a part number of 996.111.254.01. The style is the same, but the finish is definitely different. They are interchangeable by just removing one bolt.

Soooo, now it gets even tougher....
Old 08-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #13
inveniam viam aut faciam

I found you a polished tip here - line 38.

I have no experience with this company.

Here is an aftermarket one on ebay Germany.

Last edited by Qmulus; 08-22-2014 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Added another link.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #14
550 Anniversary Spyder

Garage
BRILLIANT!!!

I picked up the tip from line 38 at "dc Automotive" for $75 and will roll the dice on them being legit. PayPal transaction gives me some assurance at least.

The German eBay item I have seen on US shores as well, and I struggle with the aluminum tips being a different finish than anything else on the car. There is also a full polished offering floating around eBay....generally from Tiawan so that gives me pause.

I will post up what dc Automotive sends me and offer up an opinion. If this works out then I consider this a real score at that price. Local yards have wanted 2x as much and higher.

Many thanks for the tip. (haha)
Old 08-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
inveniam viam aut faciam

You are welcome!

The 550 edition tips are different than the 2.7 oval exhaust, correct? The way that the tips attach, it seems that it would be fairly easy to come up with alternate configurations. I have just seen the polished tips, matte (blasted) finish and the 2.7 single.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #16
550 Anniversary Spyder

Garage
The 03-04 S models have the bolt-on tip, regardless of style. So my 550 chrome tip has a single bolt on the bottom, as do the options that you mention from the same years: chrome and blasted (both with dual tips). The oval tip attaches another way and does not apply to my car exactly, but I would imagine a creative type could cobble up a solution if that was the desired look.

The exit point of the 03-04 muffler on the S is really just two ports -- no extension is there. So the "tip" sits behind the muffler and is truly a style piece.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:04 AM   #17
550 Anniversary Spyder

Garage
dc Automotive is legit and sent me the 2003 Boxster S stainless dual round tip in great condition for $75 shipped. I went ahead and sanded it with 1500 grit, then 2000 grit, and finished it off to a shine with compound and a buffer.

The flat look of raw stainless was not a fit for my car which has chrome emblems. The high shine after my time invested looks the part now, and as it is low on the car the slight difference in metal finish compared to chrome is negligible. Only the truly discerning eye would pick up that the tip is polished steel and not chrome.

Having dual round tips changes the rear end for the better, in my mind. I'm very happy with the end result and am glad I didn't go for an eBay option from Tiawan that may have introduced some design changes....which would ultimately have stood out on the car.

Since I polished the steel -- an option never offered by Porsche for this car -- I believe I have maintained a unique look that honors the 550 Spyder edition. While I won't tell you that I will never chrome plate it, for now I am smitten with the new look.

Thanks for the help and advice! The dc Automotive link was the hot ticket that got this solution moving for me.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #18
inveniam viam aut faciam

Actually, the .01 suffix tip, what dcauto advertised, is highly polished stainless from the factory. They were not chromed. That is what I have on my car right now as well. If the one you got was dull, but not the matte "blasted" finish (.00 suffix, stock S exhaust), it was likely just neglected. Salt, or the mag chloride they put on the roads here in winter really dulls stainless.

Is the trim around the windshield on your car matte finish ("Titanium Metallic") or something else? On other S's, that trim matches the "Titanium Metallic" finish badges and exhaust tips.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #19
550 Anniversary Spyder

Garage
No trim on my 550 windshield -- just black rubber. This was not a blasted tip, so it must have been SERIOUSLY neglected. The stainless was in immaculate shape, but looked raw. It took a lot of work to get shine from it which makes me think it was never shiny.

But I'm not an expert. Here is the finished product on the backend of my car. I have a nasty habit of never taking "before" photos but just imagine raw stainless steel -- the finish looks like most exhaust tubing seen below the car, rarely a part that you would see sticking out of the car at the tailpipe. Certainly all steel CAN be polished....it's just a matter of work. This one took work.

Can you post a pic of your tips Qmulus? They may look exactly like mine do now....but I'm interested to see.

Last edited by velorider; 09-02-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #20
550 Anniversary Spyder

Garage
Forgot to include the image, sorry.