Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 04:54 PM   #1

Clear water under car?...

The 50 degree day we had here in Indiana a few days ago was too tempting to pass up. I put the top down and my daughter and I took a spin into town around the traffice circle at the center of town and back - about a 20 mile trip. She was cold so I cranked the auto heat control up to 80 and let it blow on her feet and that did the job taking off the chill. Here's the rub: When I pulled in the garage I noticed a pool of water under the car, pretty much in the center but closer to front of car than the rear. It was dripping from the underside of the body. I smelled and inspected it and it was clear water, not at all coolant or oil. No idea what it was. No water inside on the carpet either and no idiot lights were on. The first thing it reminded me of was the condensation that comes from the A/C evaporator in the summer when the A/C runs and drips on the pavement. I did not have the A/C on though. Could it possibly be the same phenomenom related to using the heater????? or any other ideas???? Oh, it was not raining and the roads were dry. Thanks!

2003 MBenz ML350 SUV
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:00 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Did you see the water as you pulled into the garage or notice it after you parked the car? Is it possible that you roof leaked in your garage? Was it just water and water only or was something else in it?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:10 PM   #3

I usually wait till the car cools down a bit and then I put the car cover on. When I was putting the cover on and was fastening the two side grommets together with a bungy cord underneath the car that is when I noticed it. I saw the water and it was still slowly dripping. I did notice a few drops in the driveway that were spaced about 10 feet apart that means it was dripping as I was pulling in the gargage. I looked under in the morning and the water spot had dried up but I did not have time to take off the car cover and start it to see if it starts to lead when the engine is running...I guess I should do that when I get home.
2003 MBenz ML350 SUV
Old 03-15-2006, 05:12 PM   #4

@Hoosier,

Hi,

You're right, the water you found was from the AC. If the Unit is in Auto Mode, the AC will work in the Defrost mode to de-humidify the Air, even if you have the AC Button off. Even if just for a moment, it can produce condensation which drains under the center/midpoint of the Car. It could also be some previous condensate which the Fan picked up and blew to the Drain. Don't worry - it's nothing...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #5

That's great news MNB! I can now take that money I was preparing mentally to spend on a repair and get those Liptronics!!!

2003 MBenz ML350 SUV