Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
The Gimp

Garage
Unhappy Cranks won't start.. Tried everything I know of

Hey guys, I'd appreciate all the expert advice/experience that I can get. I've asked everyone I know and have spent hours searching forum after forum trying to come up with something... but nothing has worked, so I figured I'd rack some brains.

2001 Porsche Boxster S with 141k miles

It all started the other day (Friday) when my water pump went bad. I replaced it myself and bled the coolant and everything went back together just fine. I do have a stuck on airbag light, as I didn't disconnect the battery before taking out the passenger seat. I started it up and drove it around for a bit and filled it up with 92 octane from a pretty busy gas station. I parked it and it say until the morning when I tried to start it and it cranked just fine but would not fire up. I took my girlfriends Audi instead. So Sunday I decided to check into it. I had no idea what could be wrong so I started checking the easy things. All fuses and relays associated with the ignition/starting/fuel system are good to go. I couldn't think of anything so I disconnected the battery and let it sit for an hour, reconnected the battery, and it fired right up like nothing was ever wrong. I then drove it for 3 days. Last night (Wednesday) we were running errands in it and we come out of the gym and it won't start again. The car is trying to, but won't fire up at all. I disconnected the battery to let it sit for an hour and I reconnected it and still nothing.
I can hear the fuel pump prime, I ran a scan on it today with OBD2 and the only code is the emissions code from where I disconnected some emissions in the front right wheel well. Battery is completely good. She cranks over and over strong with no issues there. I'm at a loss. The only lights that stay on when I crank her over for a period of time are the airbag light and brake wear light (i need to change the pads).
Thanks for reading guys and I really appreciate any thoughts.

Habby73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #2

Unplug the MAF. Clear the codes. See if it will start (with the MAF unplugged) It wont hurt the car to drive it.. well? forever, with the MAF unplugged.

I'm also curious? what *exactly* did you remove from the passenger fenderwell that was "emissions" related?

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
The Gimp

Garage
Thanks, I'll try that. And it was just secondary air, and the gas tank vent valve.
Habby73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #4

update?

and why* ? did you remove these pieces? Just curious.

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote