Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #1

Top stuck - sometimes dash lights on sometimes not

Hello,

I have read through the past posts about Boxster tops getting stuck and hadn't quite found a thread that fit what I am experiencing and was hoping someone could shed some light on where to start.

I have an '02 and last year it would intermittently stop working. It happened very rarely. The beginning of this season I ran into the same thing. Until recently it was always the same. The top can be up or down and when I engage the E brake, the dash light comes on, I press the switch to open or close the top and nothing happens. No sound from the motor, nothing that looks or sounds unusual. I can then drive for a few miles and try it again and then it will work. This has made me wonder if something is just loose?

About a month ago I ran into the issue of engaging the e brake and for the first time the dash light did not come on. I turned the car off and when I came back to it later that day the dash light did come on. This has only happened once.

Two weeks ago we were on vacation and had been putting the top up and down with no issue. One evening we had been in and out of the car, putting the top up and down, when it decided to not go back up. This time the dash light for the top was lit even though it has been down for a while and was by no means in use on it's way up or down. We could not get the light to go off. We pulled fuses, the double relay, and drove around, turned it off and on. It was the first time that light came on (e brake light was fine) when the top wouldn't respond. After messing with it for a few hours, the next morning we did the same. No change. We drove 2 hours to the nearest dealer who said they would at least get it back up for us. The whole way there the light was on. We pulled into the dealership, light was on, hit the top switch again and it went up. (of course)

That same issue just occurred again today. (dash top light is on, top is down and has been down and won't go back up). The dealerships and a tech all say they can't do anything unless it is failing when it arrives since no one knows where to start looking for the issue. That is great and all except it never stays failing. Drive for a while and it works so I am pretty fed up and want to take care of this.

Given the lack of failure lights, the one instance of the e brake dash light not coming on, and the new issue of the top light coming on, does anyone have any thoughts on where I should start? Is it a particular sensor that might be having issues? Thanks!!

**edit to add** windows have always dropped and even when the top is stuck down if I press in on the top latch the windows respond.

Last edited by silverhawk; 07-26-2014 at 10:08 AM.
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

Garage
Have you tried pulling out and putting back in the top relay?

https://www.enhancedautomods.com/shop/comfort-top
Shehadehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I'd start at the relay. Inspect and/or replace it.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #4

I have the same problem. I tried pulling out the relay but it won't budge. How hard can I pull on it without breaking the circuit board ?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3 View Post
I have the same problem. I tried pulling out the relay but it won't budge. How hard can I pull on it without breaking the circuit board ?

Rather than pulling it straight out alternate pulling out the left side and then the right side. Also, if you can maneuver a flathead in there, you can slip it in the center and pry it out, but that shouldn't be necessary. Shimmy it out and you won't damage anything.

https://www.enhancedautomods.com/shop/comfort-top
Shehadehd is offline   Reply With Quote