Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #1

fails to start a with heavy gasoline smell

After replacing the front engine mount I was not able to start the car (first time in seven years..) and it has a very strong raw fuel smell.

Could be possible that I disconnected something while replacing the front engine mount, like a water temperature sensor?? Is this sensor in this area?

Or possible the crank position sensor decided to go bad?

Prior to this, I got a check engine light but I am not sure if it's related or not, your comments are always appreciated, thank you.

PS: my car is an '07 CS with 70k

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #2

Did you figure this out? Sounds like you dropped the engine down too far (typical home user mistake and pulled the fuel line off at the fire wall or broke the fuel line where it attaches.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
Did you figure this out? Sounds like you dropped the engine down too far (typical home user mistake and pulled the fuel line off at the fire wall or broke the fuel line where it attaches.
Brad, I left on a business trip the following morning but will be returning home this Saturday

I was expecting that something like the coolant temperature sensor getting disconnected or a loose harness but you are mentioning something more serious.

By removing the access panel behind the seats, can you check the integrity of the fuel line?

IF the fuel line got damaged does it have a connector into the metal line or it is a one piece hard plastic all the way from the tank to the fitting into the rubber portion of the hose?
Old 07-25-2014, 04:43 AM   #4
Beginner

Garage
Remove the plastic close out panel under the car in front of the engine. The gas line is on the lower left side of the firewall. A sure way to start a fire is to crank the starter motor in a combustible atmosphere. You have a real risk of fire with a major gas leak. Be careful!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #5

Gilles,

there is a vent line also you could have popped off. It runs right next to the fuel supply line. All of the lines run under your drivers seat (under the car)

If you damaged the main feed line, you'd have gas everywhere under the car (but) it would collect first in the undertrays before it spills over onto the ground.

Without jacking up the car and removing the undertray in front of the engine, you *can* pull that front cover off and look down (with a flashlight) and see all the hose connections under the car (but above the undertray) If you are facing the front engine cover, look down and to the right (what would be behind the drivers seat, but in the engine compartment) aim the flashlight in what would be the 5pm postion on a clock. The center tunnel being 6pm on a clock (for reference)

If you can? take pictures. I diagnose problems worldwide via email and digital pics
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #6

Brad

I have not installed the rear undertray cover yet, but when I tried to start the engine (about three or four different times) I am sure that the car was not leaking fuel into the floor, otherwise I would have noticed when I was picking up the tools.

However, I will inspect the integrity of the fuel lines and look (and hopefully find) the loose connector on the water temperature sensor...

Regards,
Gilles
Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #7

Hello Brad,
Finally, I had a chance to check my car and since the coolant temp sensor was properly connected I started looking around and found that there is a connector at the firewall right behind the driver seat, started pushing the cables into the connector (one at the time) I heard a 'click' on the yellow cable (attached picture)
afterwards the engine started immediately as it has done it for the past seven years.. :-)

I still have a service light but have not got a chance to track it down

PS: I realized that I had use the wrong term to describe the symptoms, I should have used "unburnt fuel smell" instead of "raw fuel smell, that implies a fuel leak'..
Spanglish..?

Last edited by Gilles; 07-28-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #8

You just plugged the primary 02 sensor back in It was running rich do to the 02 being unplugged.

Good job

Not what I expected? but I sent you to the right spot on accident
Old 07-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #9

and next time? se hablo espaņol