986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Top Won't Drop ... What to do to fix it ? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/53187-top-wont-drop-what-do-fix.html)

Idaho Red Rocket 3 07-12-2014 09:42 PM

Top Won't Drop ... What to do to fix it ?

Top won't drop. Wont budge. Sometimes the windows drop when I release the lock latch. (Sometimes they don't.) I have checked all the fuses. All good.

Where do I go now ?

Shehadehd 07-12-2014 11:20 PM

Off the top of my head, the cheap stuff to look at is the hand brake micro switch, convertible relay, top control rocker switch.

Top_Ramen 07-13-2014 12:48 AM

microswotch up top where the top locks.. same thing mine was doing a couple weeks ago. Bur first check, does your ebrake light come on when you have you ebrake engaged?

Blackcloud 07-13-2014 06:15 AM

Easiest things are:
Emergency brake engaged.
Unlock mechanism is fully open, if not it will not energize the switch. Mitch.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 07-13-2014 09:56 AM

Thanks. Checked ebrake light comes on and goes off as it should. Unlock mechanism fully open.

How do I inspect/test the microswitch at the lock ?
How do I inspect/test the convertible relay ? I tried to pull it out but it would not budge.
How do I inspect/test the ebrake switch ?
How do I access the rocker switch in the dash ?

I have not found that kind of detail in my Bentley book.

Thanks, Bill

Idaho Red Rocket 3 07-18-2014 10:26 PM

Would anyone be so kind to share a little detailed knowledge on the subject ?

Shehadehd 07-19-2014 02:18 AM

The micro switch at the locks can be checked by pressing your finger in the groove until you get a button press. The following test will prove the micro switch works: Fully depress the micro switch with you finger and hold. Then roll up the windows until both are fully closed. Now release your finger from the micro switch and the windows should drop a little. If the windows don't roll up all the way when you are pressing the switch, or if they don't roll down some when you let go, then you have a microswitch problem.

The convertible relay will come out but you will need to shimmy it a bit. The best you can do is remove it and put it back in to see if it just needed reseating.

If your ebrake light comes on and off, your ebrake switch is okay.

Accessing the rocker switch requires you to remove the bezel on your front console. This is not hard at all. If you get to the point where you need to remove it, I'll post a video of how to do it.

JayG 07-19-2014 06:10 AM

If you find the relay is bad, you should consider getting the relay from Shehadehd. He built in auto mode to a factory relay

Idaho Red Rocket 3 07-19-2014 10:22 PM

Thanks for the info. I fiddled with the micro switch. I think it is dead. How do I get it out for replacement ?