986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Sticky radio/AC buttons - cleanup possible? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/52788-sticky-radio-ac-buttons-cleanup-possible.html)

amitmishra4 06-17-2014 10:26 AM

Sticky radio/AC buttons - cleanup possible?

Hi,

I have a Becker 220 unit in my 2001 Boxster I believe. It seems like something sticky, probably soda was spilt by the previous owner on the CD holder/AC controls and although everything works as expected, there is a lot of stickiness in the buttons, especially when the buttons are first pressed. Touching around it, I can feel something sticky present and seems to have a brownish color, probably Coca Cola or something similar dried up. Does anyone know if there is a tutorial to open up the radio unit and take the buttons off and clean it from the inside out? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark_T 06-17-2014 10:58 AM

The buttons get sticky with age. What you're feeling there is a combination of oil, dirt, and dead skin from people's fingers. In many cases you can restore them by simply cleaning them with alcohol. You can also coat them with Plasti-dip and that makes them look new too. I used the Plast-dip and I'm happy with the result.

That didn't exactly answer your question but I hope it helps.

RedTele58 06-17-2014 11:00 AM

The radio buttons all seem to get sticky after years of use. You can try to clean them up, but they just get soft and deteriorate. The best thing to do is simply replace them. They pull right off. Get them here:

Radio Knob:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment

For cleaning up the A/C control panel, use a soft bristle toothbrush dipped in some clear water and give everything a good scrubbing.

Rick

amitmishra4 06-17-2014 12:20 PM

Ah, great! So I guess I am not the first. Thanks everyone - I will try the suggestions. I like to believe I am a little OCD about my vehicles so it will definitely be nice if I am able to clean it out a little.

Jager 06-17-2014 05:08 PM

Just pull them off and clean them...

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/30065-sticky-radio-knobs.html

Cleaned mine and they have been fine ever since.

teleski 06-17-2014 06:08 PM

----------

steved0x 06-17-2014 06:49 PM

I used denatured alcohol to clean my funky radio buttons and it worked. I barely play the radio or cd because I am listening to a different soundtrack :)

com3dorm3 06-17-2014 08:03 PM

Googone worked well for me.

fab986 06-17-2014 08:31 PM

GooGone also worked really good for me. The stickiness is gone but they look matte and feel rubbery, I think I'll try the plasti-dip trick now that they're nice and clean.

BruceH 06-18-2014 06:48 AM

Plasti-Dip. Quick and simple

Fix Sticky Radio Buttons

Deserion 06-18-2014 07:00 AM

I think I used lacquer thinner to remove the stickiness on the radio knobs. They feel smooth and non-sticky since then (cleaned in December '10).

Davev 06-18-2014 08:24 AM

OP- do you mean the buttons are sticking when you press them - vs. a sticky surface? Mine have a sticking operation and Plasti Dip won't fix that!!! I would like to clean mine up so they all work smoothly. I assume someone spilled a little soda at one time, too.

particlewave 06-19-2014 07:47 PM

Sounds like the OP has a different problem.

You will need to remove the faceplates and then remove the buttons from the faceplates. Soak everything in warm soapy water and clean with a soft sponge. Don't use chemicals and don't do it in your car. Chemicals can soften the coating or ruin it.