Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #1

I know this deambering is beat to death but...

After reading and seeing pic's I decided to start the deambering with the side marker. So I go to my local Porsche parts dept and ask for clear sidemarkers. He looked at me like I had 3 nostrils and then said, "That's a European part number and our system does not reference those parts, sorry"! And he left. So I left thinking I'll go back to the forum and ask the experts. Any comments? I do want to do this cause now that orange is really driving my nuts now that all you posters have called it to my attention...

2003 MBenz ML350 SUV
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
bmussatti

Go to www.suncoastporsche.com or www.sunsetporsche.com or use our sponsor first at www.986online.com.

I think they are about $30/pair. Take you about 10 minutes to change-out.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:06 PM   #3

Perfect. I'm on it. Thanks much!
2003 MBenz ML350 SUV
Old 03-04-2006, 12:10 AM   #4

I got mine from suncoast thay were running a special I think I payed about 19.00 for a pair, and ya it took all of 10-min.

2003 Audi TT quattro Coupe
6-speed 225 HP Black/Black/Black
it's stock...no really it's stock man

My other car was a 2001 Boxster
MLegere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:31 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I highly recommend that you order the clear taillights as well. It makes ANY Boxster look a few years newer. Look at Trigem2k's car,silver completely deambered,looks amazing.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:28 PM   #6

Tomorrow with credit card in hand I'm ordering from Suncoast. $159.99 rear and $29.99 side. They want $995 or so for headlights...but I'll see how this goes. Now since my favorite chair is the one in the garage right in front of the car where I sit with a St. Pauli's Girl, I may have to start backing in so I can stare at the back clear lights and not let the front bother me.
2003 MBenz ML350 SUV
Old 03-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #7

The clear headlights can be had off eBay for around $500-650.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #8

BlinkW, Thanks I'll check ebay for fronts. I talked to Rick at Sunset and the clear sides and rears are on their way UPS. Under $200 for all...can't wait!
2003 MBenz ML350 SUV
Old 03-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #9

you can order the clear triangle corners for the healdights for about $45.
with clear side markers its a nice change.
The ebay plastic chrome grill strips are nice too $25. or you can buy a package of chrome door edge protectors at Pep Boys and cut down to fit the grill.
Just squeez it over the grill just like you would over the door edge.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #10

PerfectLap, Thanks. Where do I get those clear triangles for front? Nice idea for grille too.
2003 MBenz ML350 SUV
Old 03-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #11

You can buy the $45 from Suncoast...I did now I regret it. After I ordered them and they arrived everything seemed fine. After being installed for 2 weeks or so it started to rain in Sacramento and I noticed ALOT of condensation build up on my passenger side clear triangle. Suncoast said they would replace it but here is the catch,they want me to send it in. WHAT DO I USE IN ITS SPOT WHEN MINE IS BEING SENT TO THEM? I sold my amber triangles assuming the product would be defect free. I have to figure something out.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:42 AM   #12

@ Blinkwatt,

Hi,

An Easy fix would be to set the Triangle upright, edges exposed, in a dish of ordinary Table Salt overnight. This will draw the Moisture out of the Triangle. Then, get some clear Silicone and with your finger, apply it into the seams and seal it off from atmosphere, it'll never cloud again. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
@ Blinkwatt,

Hi,

An Easy fix would be to set the Triangle upright, edges exposed, in a dish of ordinary Table Salt overnight. This will draw the Moisture out of the Triangle. Then, get some clear Silicone and with your finger, apply it into the seams and seal it off from atmosphere, it'll never cloud again. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
I'm a bit suspect of the "drawing it out" thing. I'm not saying it won't work - just wondering how.....

Condensation can basically occur because of two things. The first is natural moisture already present in the object. The second is because of moisture drawn into the object. Moisture is only drawn in after the object is heated and then cooled. The heat creates a vacuum and moisture present is then drawn in as the object is cooled.

If you can heat it up then you essentially dry it out. Seal it while it's still warm and you should be able to lock out the condensation. The other benefit of this is that condensation can not occur in a vacuum. Naturally, I have no advice as to how to safely heat the darn thing....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top

Last edited by denverpete; 03-09-2006 at 09:57 PM.
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
I'm a bit suspect of the "drawing it out" thing. I'm not saying it won't work - just wondering how.....

Condensation can basically occur because of two things. The first is natural moisture already present in the object. The second is because of moisture drawn into the object. Moisture is only drawn in after the object is heated and then cooled. The heat creates a vacuum and moisture present is then drawn in as the object is cooled.

If you can heat it up then you essentially dry it out. Seal it while it's still warm and you should be able to lock out the condensation. The other benefit of this is that condensation can not occur in a vacuum. Naturally, I have no advice as to how to safely heat the darn thing....
Hi,

I agree, heat is one way, but you’re really talking about convection.

Moisture will also naturally migrate into an open system as the Relative Humidity in the Air surrounding it increases. Conversely, it will also decrease as the RH decreases as the Humidity will want to equalize.

Salt is hygroscopic, and can absorb moisture through the Air. In fact, it can absorb a mass of water equal to its own.

A quantity of Salt Crystals (which are surrounded by Air between them) with the Triangle encased in it is sort of Closed atmosphere or system, (not truly closed, but for practical purposes it is). The Salt absorbs the Moisture in the Air around the Crystals. When that happens, the Relative Humidity drops in the system. Since the Triangle is not currently sealed, the Air inside is part of this System.

Two things happen here. First, the RH drops in the system, this lowers the vapor pressure of any liquid water in the Triangle allowing it to more easily evaporate into the Air as moisture (just like a Car in Arizona's Dry Air dries more quickly). Second, the Laws of equilibrium state that the RH in the system will equalize and stabilize.

The Salt keeps absorbing moisture, the Air overall gets lower and lower in RH, and the Triangle will dry out – just as the Air does inside your Car if you place Silica Gel Packs (another hygroscopic substance) in your Interior when you store it.

Happy Motoring!... Jim’99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 03-09-2006 at 11:24 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote