986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Chip Upgrade Questions/Experience (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/5273-chip-upgrade-questions-experience.html)

der Geist 03-03-2006 02:25 PM

Chip Upgrade Questions/Experience

Hello to all!

I am new here having just purchased a 2003 Boxster. I was considering a few upgrades and was wondering what other experiences the other users here may have had. I have seen a few chip upgrades out there and was curious as to weather anyone could explain why they go from $300 (Jet Chip) to $850 (Giac).

Also, which cold air intakes do you prefer and why?

Thanks!!

MNBoxster 03-03-2006 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by der Geist
Hello to all!

I am new here having just purchased a 2003 Boxster. I was considering a few upgrades and was wondering what other experiences the other users here may have had. I have seen a few chip upgrades out there and was curious as to weather anyone could explain why they go from $300 (Jet Chip) to $850 (Giac).

Thanks!!

Hi,

Save your money...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

blinkwatt 03-04-2006 12:36 AM

I would highly recommend that you spend a good couple of months driving the car and get used to it and learn how to "tame the beast" as is before tampering with it. Learn about the car first,how to access the engine,oil change,etc. Trying to acheive more speed on a Boxster is not a cheap process,you probably better off removing weight from it.

Brucelee 03-04-2006 06:40 AM

As we say on the motorcycle boards, the best way to improved performance is a diet.

threpwood 03-04-2006 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by der Geist
Hello to all!

Thanks!!

How about a supercharger? Imagineauto has one already ready to ship. Don't think there's much improvement with just a chip mod since I believe the stock is already fine tuned.

Brucelee 03-04-2006 07:38 AM

Seriously, the folks on this board who have installed chips, intake and exhaust work have generally been very disappointed in what has transpired.

Most who are happy have done things like, short shift kits, strut braces, larger wheels etc.

Makes the driving experience better at a relatively lower cost.

I ditto the issue of superchargers. If you are going for HP, this is likely to be the biggest bang for the buck.

The only concern i have is keeping that motor together.

Mobil 1 15W-50 anyone?

:cheers:

Adam 03-04-2006 01:37 PM

An engine swap is the only way to see huge gains without sacrificing reliability...nuff said.

986Jim 03-10-2006 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
As we say on the motorcycle boards, the best way to improved performance is a diet.

So true. And really as in with bikes, when you wanna go faster, just buy the faster model. NO point in modifying a 600, sell it and get a 750 or litrebike.

Same can be said with the Boxster. Buy an S or Carerra when you wanna go faster. You gotta pay to play.

Brucelee 03-10-2006 05:51 AM

So true!

" You gotta pay to play."