Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Iowa

986 engine squeek, no reverse, brakes squeek

I have a 1999 Boxster with Automatic/Triptronic transmission. I have a few issues that just came up.The engine is making a belt like squeek sound that is constant and elevates with the RPM's. I had the Porsche shop look at it when I got new tires. And they said the belt and all pullys are fine. It was at the dealer getting the immobilizers replaced, and they were programmed there. When I bought it, the transmission was just rebuilt. I was driving on the Interstate for about an hour with the cruise control on. Then my cruise shut off and I could feel the car giving up and slowing down. After 5 minutes of that, then everything was better, but no cruise and the dash lights showing the transmission was blinking from the D to the 4 on the manual side. I stopped for something to drink, and when I got back to the car someone was parked in front of me. I put it in reverse and nothing. The car has set for a few days, and still no reverse. And the dash indicator is the same. My brakes have been sticking for a while. I am going to have the booster and master cylinder looked at and replaced if needed. But when I drive I have one foot below the brake peddle an one above, to allow me to come to a slow stop.
Any ideas on this mess?

Marty Talarico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #2

Blinking d-4 means a tip issue .
Can you select manual gears using the buttons ?
I'm going off memory , and a little drunk , but there is an electrical contact from the gearbox linkage that can sometimes be cleaned , and fluid level checked .
I'll post again tommorow when things are clearer )

Last edited by Ian c; 06-11-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Iowa

Thanks Ian. Every little bit of advise helps.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #4

I'll pm or post some info in the morning .
You'll need access to a multimeter .....
Old 06-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
Blinking d-4 means a tip issue .
Can you select manual gears using the buttons ?
I'm going off memory , and a little drunk , but there is an electrical contact from the gearbox linkage that can sometimes be cleaned , and fluid level checked .
I'll post again tommorow when things are clearer )
Prost!
Old 06-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
Iowa

Ian, is a tip issue meaning a tiptronic issue? I am taking it to a transmission shop on Monday. The shop specializes in exatics, and has all the scanners to figure this out. The transmission was rebuilt before I bought it. It is not warrantied. Hopefully this doesn't cost much.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #7

Sorry !!!
I forgot all about this !!!

Yeah tip = tiptronic .

Can you get access to a multimeter ?
I can talk you through all the basic checks to confirm its nothing "outside" the tip (which it Probobly is.......)
Old 06-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
Iowa

Ian, I saw your message and I took the car to a transmission shop. This is more then I can work on. The price is going to be up there. They said maybe $2500 to rebuild what is there, and maybe $2000 more for a used transmission. They said they would just sell it with a bad tranny. I enjoy doing the little things, but am not mechanically inclined.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:45 AM   #9

If you decide to sell...

Marty,
I've noticed that you have several postings going that cover a multitude of issues. Transmission, brakes, engine squeak, etc. Sorry you are having so many problems. I know you just got your Boxster, but from the sounds of it you may want to cut your losses and move to another vehicle. If that is the decision you make I may be able to help. Just send me a PM, I buy Boxsters needing work frequently and am located in your neighboring state so logistics will be simple.

Thanks, Joe
Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
Iowa

I had the transmission fixed at $3500 and a new brake booster installed. Is that a good price.

Last edited by Marty Talarico; 07-11-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
Iowa

I am looking to sell it. It drives but sets in my garage. It is still having some transmission problems, and the bendingin and out kills me. I have listed on Craigslist in Des Moines, Iowa. Call me at 515-202-4462 or email me at****mtalarico1@aol.com****if you have any questions.
Thanks
Marty