986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Troubleshooting transmission problem (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/51989-troubleshooting-transmission-problem.html)

Brian0icu812 05-04-2014 06:14 AM

Troubleshooting transmission problem

So after a headache to get my car running after an engine swap and the past 2 weeks of driving the car approx 200 miles it now shifts into 1, 3, 5 with nothing there as far as movement. The clutch is new and the car will move in 2nd and reverse but nothing in the top 3 gears (1998 5speed). After the engine swap the linkage wasnt quite right so we had to lower the linkage bracket on the transmission with a few washers so it would go into reverse.
So leading up to this issue everything worked fine except for 1st popping out of gear on take off maybe 5 times over the past 2 weeks, and today it popped out of gear (not heavy acceleration) and now it shifts into 1st 3rd and 5th gear but there's no resistance and no movement from the car. I looked at the linkage and its all still connected so my question is could this be a linkage issue either by the shifter or transmission or does this sound like a used transmission is in order :(

Brian0icu812 05-04-2014 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian0icu812 (Post 398762)
So after a headache to get my car running after an engine swap and the past 2 weeks of driving the car approx 200 miles it now shifts into 1, 3, 5 with nothing there as far as movement. The clutch is new and the car will move in 2nd and reverse but nothing in the top 3 gears (1998 5speed). After the engine swap the linkage wasnt quite right so we had to lower the linkage bracket on the transmission with a few washers so it would go into reverse.
So leading up to this issue everything worked fine except for 1st popping out of gear on take off maybe 5 times over the past 2 weeks, and today it popped out of gear (not heavy acceleration) and now it shifts into 1st 3rd and 5th gear but there's no resistance and no movement from the car. I looked at the linkage and its all still connected so my question is could this be a linkage issue either by the shifter or transmission or does this sound like a used transmission is in order :(

Also needs the transmission oil changed, i was actually pulling it into the garage to change this and regular oil when this happened.

Brian0icu812 05-04-2014 10:10 AM

took the linkage apart and the squeeze clip that holds it to the mount was stretched out and slid out of the groove. Bent it and now its fine :) yay

Other note does anyone here have a audi 5speed (98-05 a4) in their boxster? I'm thinking of picking up one cheaply as a spare